Thursday, September 12, 2013

Another Bug

Okay. Since everyone seems to have seen the praying mantis at least once, how about this one: the tomato hornworm. They're supposed to live most places but I've only seen one up here and that was around 30 years ago.

I was growing vegetables in old half barrels when I lived in Myrtletown and I found one of these on my tomato plant. Huge thing, probably 3 inches long or more and real big around. Don't remember what I did with that one but I've never seen another one since.

3 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fred,

Both the preying mantis and the tomato hornworm are warm weather bugs. They may be more prevalent this year due to warmer temps on the coast?

I've seen several mantii in Arcata over the past 12 years, though no tomato hornworms(I don't try to grow tomatoes on the coast).

Best,

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny I just happen to see one of these for the first time last week myself I've seen ones that look like a smaller version without the horn before but never one of these monsters
THC

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous democratic Jon said...

I am fan of these bug posts. Sincerely. My favorite but in my garden is a Jerusalem beetle. Check the pictures that come up online. They are impressive when you dig one up. I only know their name because Sequoia Zoo happens to have a little photo of one near there very cool display of the local water sheds.

Stephen - leave it alone please! It's just the name. I can't help it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home