Sunday, July 20, 2014

Times- Standard Web Site Problem Solved?

Maybe so. I've written here before that I was having major problems with the Times- Standard web site. The screen froze up so often it would be difficult to read just about anything. One other reader said he had similar problems.

I'd regularly get pop- ups saying Shockwave Flash either wasn't working or was busy. Clicking on the button to stop the plugin didn't seem to help much, if at all. I'd done a quick search for shockwave problems and found others suffering the same malady, albeit on different web sites. The recommended solution was to uninstall Shockwave and Flash players, then reinstall them.

I did that, and it seemed to help a little, but only for two or three days. Then the other day a friend recommended completely uninstalling both Shockwave and Flash players and leaving them uninstalled, citing generic problems he had with them. I decided to give it a try this morning and it seems to have worked.

I can go through the T-S page pretty quick now, at least so far. I do get a message asking if I want to install a plugin to view media on the page. I just choose "Not now". If all goes well I'll choose "Don't ask me again".

I tried a few other Media News Group web sites since I was having problems to some extent with all of them, though not as bad as the T-S. San Jose Mercury News and Fresno Bee worked fine. The Contra Costa Times did freeze up and I got a message some script had stopped running or some such. I just selected "stop plugin" and it worked fine after a minute or so. 

This might be the answer if you're also having problems with Media News Group sites.  I'm happy so far. The only question now is what things I won't be able to do without Shockwave and Flash players?

2 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Rose said...

It's so loaded up with pop unders, pop ups, crawl overs and flashing whatevers, it is unbearable to visit their site. That kind of advertising won't make me want to buy your product or visit your establishment, rather the opposite, in fact.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. They're trying to hard to sell things. Pretty much counterproductive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home