Saturday, December 27, 2014

Mustard For Burns

Interesting info Barbara from Redding posted on Facebook:

For all of you who were so supportive when I burned my hand, offered suggestions, and ***** ******** recommended mustard and it worked, I told my son, ****** ****** about it the other day. In his youth he worked fast food. He told me that during training his training supervisor coated his own hand with mustard and thrust it into the hot oil in the fryer. He pulled his hand back out. Mustard still on there. Other than the mustard being warm from the heat, his hand was normal. I believe this was part of training on what to do if you were burned on the job. Don't try this at home kiddies. There are properties in mustard that defy effects of a burn.

It looks as if others have experienced burn relief from mustard, as well. I'm not buying that you can coat your hand with mustard and stick it into hot oil without suffering burns. I'm certainly not going to try it. If any of you do give it a try, let us know how it goes.

2 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mustard will temporarily relieve pain for light burns, but it doesn't have burn healing properties as some sites claim, and in fact be deleterious for a bad burn.

I could see putting on mustard in an emergency at an outdoor BBQ, but in an indoor situation you should simply have a pain relieving antiseptic spray on hand. It's good for burns as well as insect bites, rashes, etc.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

The only thing about burns that I can recall from the excellent first aid class I took many years ago is to cool burns immediately.

No matter how you got burned, the skin is still hot and burning after it's removed from whatever it was burned on. It was recommended you immediately pour cold water on the burn to stop further damage, then cover with a sterile dressing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home