Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Suddenlink & Yelp

Humboldt's Suddenlink doesn't have many good Yelp reviews. Most are pretty nasty, although there's a couple good ones. We've only been back with Suddenlink for less than a week so it's probably a bit early for me to do a Yelp. 

I'll go ahead and give my comments on their TV service here since they're only a preliminary assessment, keeping in mind I was with Cox Cable or Suddenlink for decades before we switched to Dish in 2010:

We've had a couple problems since we've been reconnected with Suddenlink with at least one bright point.

The first problem was creating and accessing a Favorites list with their TV guide. Having a list of favorites means you can sort through the programming for your 25 or 30 favorite channels rather than having to search through however many channels are available, most of which you have no interest in watching.

It didn't take long to figure out how to mark channels as Favorites, probably because it wasn't too much different with Dish Network. What I still can't figure out how to do is just show the Favorites list. I get to the complete channel menu and see the channels marked as Favorites but that's it. 

I went to Suddenlink's web site and did a search for answers to the problem and found something that said to select "Switch to Favorites Mode". Fine, except I've looked and looked and haven't seen that option anywhere. I'd like to have a Favorites list to use. Not much point in having a channel marked as a Favorite when you still have to scroll through the whole channel list to find it.

That was the first problem and now the remote control doesn't seem to be working completely. Worked fine for the first couple days but then it seemed sluggish. I put new batteries in it and that seemed to help but next day a couple buttons didn't seem to work at all. 

The Guide and Settings buttons are, or were, a real timesaver for me earlier. Guide brings up the list of channels, shows and times. Can't get that now so Connie uses the Times- Standard TV guide and just types in the channel number. That works good for her. Not for me since I can barely read the numbers on the remote with these old eyes.

I e-mailed the brother-in-law yesterday that sold us the package as he said if we had any problems to let him know. He e-mailed back and suggested going down to the Suddenlink office and get a new remote. Maybe I'll do that today.

Those are the two main problems right now. Other than that, everything seems fine. The one good thing is Connie found a couple good channels with old shows we both enjoy. 

I guess it's the Inspiration(?) Channel that shows old reruns of The Waltons and Little House On The Prairie. Love those ageless old shows and it's fun to see them again. The other one she found yeserday is MeTV, which stands for something I can't recall right now. Old M.A.S.H reruns on that channel last night. I'll always enjoy that show, too.

I'm not sure I can really point to those channels as a Suddenlink benefit, though. Connie found them scrolling through the all- channel guide. We might have had them with Dish, too, but since we pretty much exclusively used the Favorites list with Dish we probably never noticed those channels available. Connie just found them by accident, which ironically might not have happened had I succeeded in setting up the Favorites list earlier on.

Anyway, I'll wait a while before doing my own Yelp review. In the meantime, the reviews I've already read make me wonder what else might go wrong? In fairness, most of the complaints were about phone and internet service, not TV. We're only subscribed to TV.


6 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't view that site as a credible source for information on anything. Read up on its history of litigation.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I disagree. I know about all the accusations, but if you read between the lines you can get some decent info. You can also often tell by the way something is written if the writer has a bone to pick.

I recall one review by a lady about a hotel we used to frequent in San Francisco. She really slammed it. As far as I was concerned she was full of shit and probably enjoyed just slamming who or whatever she could. There are people out there like that, you know.

All the reviews on Suddenlink seem legit. Mostly bad but a couple good. The bad ones aren't unlike the ones I've heard from people locally as far as internet blackouts and such.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you tell the real and fake reviews apart? And do you dig past fake reviews that have been placed in prominent display?

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, why do you think the lady who slammed the hotel was real?

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"How do you tell the real and fake reviews apart?"

There's no definitive way to tell, but you can get a good idea by the way the reviews are written and how positive or negative they are. That hotel lady's review was totally negative to the point it didn't make sense to me. I figured she probably doesn't have anything good to say about anything.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger MOLA:42 said...

"How do you tell the real and fake reviews apart?"

You use the Force.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home