Sunday, April 19, 2015

Bing Earth?

Anyone else see that Bing car around town yesterday? I saw it driving south down E street past my house yesterday afternoon. A small red sedan with a Bing sign on the door and one of those Google Earth type cameras on top a five or six foot pole on the roof. 

Maybe Bing is trying to start their own version of Google Earth? I see they have maps on their web site, but nothing to indicate any attempt at another GE. Seems to me that would be a waste of time, akin to trying to reinvent the wheel, or those "new" black book phone books. I wonder exactly what they're doing?

Addendum: I guess what they're doing is called Streetside. Explanation here.

9 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Saw it on Broadway yesterday.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Don't know why I didn't check this earlier. Did a search for "what is that Bing car doing?" and found out it's called Streetside. Pretty much along the lines of Google Earth. Posted a link as an addendum in original post.

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're confusing Google Earth with Google Street View.

Street View is what you're using when you load Google Maps and want to see street photos.

Google Earth uses satellite imagery, and also maps, etc. as a more standalone application, although it can integrate with websites. It was originally called EathViewer 3D and has its roots in a company Google acquired that received CIA funding (according to Google's provided description).

Please, please, please let Bing's version be more like the old Street View before Google's redesign last year. The current Street View is broken for all of my regular uses.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. True that. I should have used Street View. I haven't used either in a while so don't know how they might have messed them up.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a white Bing car at the Patriot Station in Richardson Grove on Friday.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, my wife saw it down in Garberville the other day. We joked about how late they were to mimic Street View.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"We joked about how late they were to mimic Street View."

I know. I was thinking the same thing. Then again, I suppose out of competition comes innovation(?).

 
At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Microsoft, a day later and a dollar short again...

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous gb05 said...

Bing's Streetside works on Bing maps of Redding. Seems to be a better quality camera than Google's, but it was my first attempt and it will take some getting used to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home