Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Arcata Worrying About Used Oil

I have to wonder if this is another solution in search of a problem? The Times- Standard reports the City of Arcata is offering free oil containers for residents to put their used oil in. 

No mention in the story of problems with illegal dumping to begin with. You have to wonder if someone was dumping oil illegally whether giving them a container for it would solve anything? After all, they had to already have a container to take it somewhere to dump, didn't they?

I'm not sure this is a problem. The only used oil I recall seeing in some years is spots along the streets where it drips out of parked cars. I'm not sure but I would think more and more people are using the "quick lube" oil change places now rather than changing their own nowadays. That, and some places, like the recycling center at City Garbage take oil for free. 

How can there be a problem with this, especially when back in the day lots of us disposed of used oil in ways that are now illegal? Some of you older folks might remember instructions for disposing of used oil 40 or 50 years ago. They'd say to dig a shallow hole, dump the oil in it and cover it with soil. Yikes!

I also recall seeing a movie about mosquito abatement when I was in elementary school. It showed stagnant pools and marshes with a layer of used oil that was poured on them to cover all the water. That would suffocate mosquito larvae and kill them. You have to wonder how many places that was done?

We've come a long way from that sort of thing, but can you think of any long term harm from the way it was done then? I can't, not that I'm recommending we go back to that. I just don't know that there's a problem with oil disposal now that can be helped by giving away free oil containers.

Addendum: I got to thinking after writing this and thought of my situation. I stopped changing oil myself some years ago. I was going to a quick lube place but now go to a regular automotive service to have my oil changed. If there's any issue I have related to used oil now, it's what to do with my old used oil container I never really use anymore.

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

I thought they were talking about COOKING oil when I first read it. I bought a deep fryer recently and it will staying the box until I figure out what to do with the used oil and what to keep it in. Re: cars, I don't know anyone who changes their own oil but if I had a teenaged son...

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

You should be able to sell cooking oil, if you can't give it away. I'd call one or two fast food places to find out who buys theirs. Then call whoever buys it and see if they'd like yours.

As far as changing one's own oil, I did for many years. Then I stopped by that quick oil change place on Harris in Eureka. After all was said and done I realized they did a lot more with their oil and fluid changes and checks than I would on my own so became a fan.

Then I decided I wanted a better overall check of my vehicle and started going to a real service center. Been going to Antich Automotive for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home