Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Trump Supporters: Authoritarian?

Reason magazine takes a look at the Donald Trump supporters, coming to the conclusion that Trump appeals mostly to authoritarians. I had  a little of that feeling myself, with his apparent lack of concern for civil rights or fairness, but never really thought much about it.

The article does go somewhere I never spent a whole lot of time: defining authoritarianism. I'm not sure I've ever tried. About the closest I've ever come is suggesting authoritarians aren't believers in individual choice- not the description the Reason writer comes up with.

The writer comes up with some child specific questions to determine adult tendency towards authoritarianism: "These questions pertain to child-rearing: whether it is more important for the voter to have a child who is respectful or independent; obedient or self-reliant; well-behaved or considerate; and well-mannered or curious. Respondents who pick the first option in each of these questions are strongly authoritarian.".  Probably a good of an approach as any, so works for me. 

Authoritarian, or not, I'll still admit to getting a kick out of Trump's brash in your face political correctness be damned statements, although I'm not sure much is gained by them.

3 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Trump is a fascist who is busily destroying the GOP. Are there really voters in Humboldt who support him?

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I would never vote for trump, because, yes, he is an authoritarian. Authority is good to a point, but only under self governing applications. When forced upon others, it's devastating.
I place my vote for Rand Paul. He's about the only one who understands the constitution. He has room for improvement, of course, as does everyone, but he's the most likely to seize the opportunity to grow.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

There was a similar article on Politico today

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533

 

Post a Comment

<< Home