Saturday, February 27, 2016

Evenwell vs. Abbott

I got a phone call a few mornings ago from the guy mentioned in this Los Angeles Times article. Ed Blum is associated with the American Enterprise Institute and has a bone to pick with the way political districts are drawn in some places. His beef? That they're chosen based on total population rather than eligible voters lving within the district..

He's working on  challenging the issue all the way to the Supreme Court and was looking for someone to name as a plaintiff for a suit. He told me he's found plaintiffs before by cold- calling people and wondered if I might be interested in him using my name. I told him he was more than welcome to use my name.

What I didn't tell him is issues like this dealing with how districts are chosen, or how many people show up to vote aren't something I lose sleep over, especially when you consider the end results of the election might well end up the same under either system. I don't believe we'll see any magic result from playing around with redistricting or forcing more people to vote.

Whether my name ends up in the news connected to some Supreme Court case remains to be seen. I just hope nobody asks me about ti as I don't know i could argue the case myself very well.. 

The idea seems kinda neat to me, though. Kinda like my very own fifteen minutes of fame. Imagine years from now someone using Mangels vs. the U.S.  when referring to some prior Supreme Court case. I'd be famous, and far more famous than just being the King of Humboldt Bloggers.

It's kinda like those freeways and overpasses you see that have names attached to them. That interchange south of Forutna being a good example of how cool it would be. It's dedicated to the late Roger Rodoni. Wouldn't it be cool to have that sign say The Freddy Memorial Interchange? And this Supreme Court case might giive me national fame. Just what an egocentric guy like me needs.

The Cato Institute looks at the case.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have agreed with him before the governor brought in millions of illegals and handled them DMV cards pre-registered to vote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home