Sunday, July 17, 2016

Candidates Emerge in Eureka Council Race

Local political busy- body John Chiv tells us of at least two people throwing their hats in the ring for the next Eureka City Council race. Matt Owen and John Yalcinkaya (aka Liberal John)have announced their intentions, bringing a definite Left vs. Right aspect to the race, or does it? It will be interesting to see what issues come to the forefront here. The only one that comes to mind is the homeless thing and I can't help but think that's become less an issue for most of us since the break up of the Devil's Playground. The homeless are certainly still out there and seem even more visible from my perspective, but what are you going to do about that? It would seem to me a fool's errand to try and remove them from the streets entirely. Who will I vote for? Too early to say, although I'll admit I consider Matt Owen a friend and enjoy his Matt in the Middle column we see on occasion in the Lost Coast Outpost. From the sometimes nasty comments made on LoCo towards Matt's column, I'd be tempted to vote for Matt using those comments as an excuse. But, I won't. I'll wait and see what issues emerge and how the candidates advocate dealing with them. While this may rightfully be seen as a left vs. right race (as they usually are to some extent), I'm not sure we can point to any good or bad things the current city council has done that we can credit to one side or the other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home