Thursday, July 14, 2016

The California Conservation Corp

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/r Cute article on the conservation Corp in today's Lost Coast Outpost including a piece by a current CCCer on what its like to be a fireighter. Nicely done, but I'm jealous. I remember back when I was around 15 applying to be a firefighter with CCC, or maybe it was .CDF?.I wanted that job so bad I could taste it, only to get a reply from whoever it was saying they'd already hired their crews for the year. Oh,well. Probably just a well as I hadn't considered poison oak was a major problem for me back then.I would have bee miserable on the fire line with poison oak on a hot summer day. I later found some ways to avoid poison oak,but that might not have helped when it burned and the smoke had the bad stuff. So, jealous? Probably not too much anymore and I'm way too old for that sort of thing now.

6 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Rick Wentworth said...

back in the late 80s i had a friend work for CCC and she told me they had something called IMUNE-OAK or something close . it was poison oak extract that you mix in water and drink to build up your body tollerance ( how ever its spelt ) . then i asked my AT&T boss about it and we had it . i started drinking and following instructions and short time later i could rub the leaves anywhere on me without catching it

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah. That wasn't around when I needed it. i did go to buy some at longs drugs years later on only to be told it had been taken off the market. It seems people were getting massive poison oak all over themselves after taking the stuff.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger MOLA:42 said...

Freddy:

It might not have been a problem for you back then.

When I was a Boy Scout on camp outs I used to annoy bigger boys than myself (that's right, I was annoying even in my tender youth) and I'd literally dive into poison oak and dare them to come get me.

Never even got an itch.

Now, just thinking about poison oak gives me hives. But then again, I'm even more annoying today. One of those cosmic trade-offs I guess.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Sally Sheffield said...

Smokey the Near told me he'd be proud to have you on his advisory board, Fred! 🐶

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Sally Sheffield said...

Bear--as in"only you can prevent forest fires"bear!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

" they had something called IMUNE-OAK or something close"

As I wrote earlier, I went to buy some of that stuff only to find it had been taken off the market. it seemed at least some people were getting poison oak all over themselves after drinking it. In fact, I ran into a gal that said she got poison oak over every square inch of her body after using it.

Someone told me you could also eat the young poison oak fronds as they emerged from the ground and it could help with immunity.

I kinda developed my own defense against poison oak at one point. I was so paranoid of the stuff I developed a sort of sixth sense for it and would know it was there without really seeing it. I could notice even small patches of it out of the corner of my eye without even trying. Then I could avoid it.

That worked remarkably well and I went unscathed for some time. The worst case I remember getting then was when cutting firewood with some guys up in Maple Creek. The oak tree we were cutting up had poison oak vines winding up the main trunk but I figured so long as I didn't touch it I should be ok.

Except the chain saw blew the oils up in the air and I ended up with rash over just about every inch of my body, and that without actually touching the vines. Miserable time that was as I lived alone in a cabin with no electricity or running water and all I could do was lay there for a week or so until the rash went away. I was hatin' it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home