Wednesday, August 03, 2016

I Got My Wireless Keyboard Back

Hooray! I'm stoked and can type easy now. I bought  a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse from Cornerstone Computers in Henderson Center some years ago. I've love it despite it having a few glitches such as stopping working for a few minutes every now and then. I could usually get by the stoppages by waving the keyboard around in the air or moving it closer to the back of the computer.

Then two or three months ago it stopped working and I couldn't get it working again. I tried everything, or so I thought, but no luck so I grabbed an old keyboard with a cord- there's a name for that which escapes me- and plugged it into the back of my tower. It worked but wasn't as easy to type on. 

One annoying thing about that keyboard is it apparently had different keyboard shortcuts built into it. I'd be typing posts here and all of the sudden either a new tab would open, or I'd get thrown off this site completely. Couldn't figure out what combination of keys was causing that and it drove me nuts. As far as I'm concerned Microsoft should make keyboard shortcuts optional. They seem more of a pain in the ass to me than anything else.

So I went months using that old keyboard and was getting ready to take this wireless one into Cornerstone Computers for any advice they might have on the problem.  I saved some pride by holding off on that.

The other morning, or maybe it was night, I was laying in bed and it came to me I hadn't changed the batteries in the keyboard. Maybe that's the problem, although I'd never had any indication of the batteries going low before, unlike the cordless mouse that's part of the set. I change those fairly often.

I mentioned it to the wife yesterday morning. Of course, she replies, "You just thought of that?". She said she'd try to remember to pick up some new ones when she was out shopping. She bought some AAA batteries at Winco, brought them home, I put them in the keyboard and unhooked the old keyboard. I didn't get type for  a minute or so, but that was because the browser was slow to open. But, once Firefox was up and running, I could type again. 

Problem solved, although it did take me a long time to figure out the solution.

5 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Logitech wireless keyboard will issue a pop up screen window that tells me to replace the batteries. Same with the cordless mouse.

I have found that some batteries have a longer life than others, regardless of the brand. It might be the age and how long they sat in the store before being purchased.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"My Logitech wireless keyboard will issue a pop up screen window that tells me to replace the batteries. Same with the cordless mouse."

Hmmmm??? I wish mine did. With my mouse it's easy enough to figure out. The mouse just stops moving on the screen all of the sudden and the optical tracking light on the bottom of it goes out.

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

take the batteries out, let it sit in a quiet corner for a little think, then reinstall the same batteries..if they measured at something over 1.5 volts they should work, but wipe the contacts clean as well because it doesn't take much for their to be noise and lower the little voltage to cause electronic confusion. This works for wireless meeses as well as keyboards.

Did you read the recent warning about hackers who can intercept your wireless keyboard signals? Creeepy!
In public places perhaps take the wired keyboard..but I love my wireless meeses to peeces.
So to speak.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, I'm glad you figured it out.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I tried turning everything off and starting anew to no avail. It was driving me nuts. Seemed to me it hooked right up without problems when I first bought it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home