Monday, January 09, 2017

Fatsos

 Barry Evans writes about the obesity epidemic at the Lost Coast Outpost, even going so far as to provide a link to this bmi calculator- that's Body Mass Index for those of you in Arcata. My BMI is 28.89- considered overweight- according to the calculator at 5'8" and 190. I used to be 5'9" but last time they measured me at the hospital I was an inch shorter. That's not unusual as the spine compresses over time shrinking many of us. That's why astronauts often end up a bit taller after a stint in space when micro gravity allows their spines to decompress.

But it is interesting that obesity is a major health problem in this country when we're also told people are starving. I know I've been surprised at the number of people I've seen at the welfare office that seemed not only overweight, but morbidly obese. Never mind all the guys I see walking down my street with dunlap (belly done lapped over their belt) syndrome. How can we let this happen to ourselves?

As for me, the bmi index says I'm technically overweight, but at my prime I was 5'9" and 189 pounds. I was in good shape then. I don't claim to be in anywhere near that kind of shape now, despite my almost daily weight workouts. I was glad when I was able to get my weight back up towards 190. The bmi doesn't take into consideration that muscle weighs more than fat, thus someone with a larger percentage of muscle will weigh more than someone of the same size that's mostly fat.

I had kind of a scare when in the National Guard with their weigh control program because of that. The Guard goes by U.S. Army weight control guidelines. Someone my height of 5'9" wasn't supposed to weigh more than 169 pounds, if memory serves me, but I was 20 pounds over. I was nervous when we went for a mobilization processing deal down in Walnut Creek one weekend, though I shouldn't have been, having at the time been involved in the administrative side of the weight control program at our home unit. I still worried they might jerk me around and make me go through some special processing for being overweight. 

I shouldn't have worried. Going through the processing at Walnut Creek I was directed to an area to see a doctor. The doctor didn't even say anything, but I saw him write on my report "Muscular Build". I was pretty proud of that but, no, I didn't brag.

Can't say I'm anything like that now despite my regular weight workouts. I have a hard time just walking most of the time and, truth be told, if I take my t- shirt off, I'd say I look the fatso. That's one of the reasons you try to build up the chest with weights: A bigger chest can make the gut seem smaller- yep, vanity.

But I'm not like some I see every day that seem to not care and go out of their way to join the Club of Fatness. Like those folks I see just about every time I go to Winco, over where the cases of soft drinks are. Often morbidly obese people buying cases of sugar laden drinks. If I had any guts, I should go ask them if they realize a good part of the reason they're morbidly obese is drinking all those soft drinks.

Arrogant for me to be that way as soft drinks were never one of my bad habits. Plenty of other bad habits I enjoy but not Coke.

Then there's one of my other pet peeves: Those of you that drive around for 20 minutes in the Winco parking lot to find a parking spot close to the door that might save you 20 or 30 feet of walking. Being the contrarian, I always make a point to park at least half way out toward the street. I sure show them, although I doubt anyone notices.

It's like those folks in the store using those motorized scooter carts. Most of them are, at best, overweight. I have to wonder if they got that way by saving the 30 feet with their close parking space, or if physical problems started first, then the search to avoid walking? Probably one of those chicken and egg things- which came first?

I'm not trying to be too nasty here as I've been having some almost serious problems with my legs lately that makes it very difficult to walk. I've been wondering if I'll be using one of those motor carts soon? It just seems some of those folks can't use that excuse.

If you don't want The Freddy watching and judging you at Winco or otherwise around town, lay off the soft drinks. You'll probably want to park near me in the parking lot, too. I'm usually about 2/3 of the way towards Harris Street at a minimum, when I park at Winco, and proud of it!

12 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting and informative website on this topic is www.takepart.com/foodinc Watch the trailer for the documentary Food Inc and then rent the DVD.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also on is subject is the book "Sugar Salt Fat" by Michael Moss. Search Sugar Salt Fat for a number of informative websites.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Fred, get the teeter machine, upside down makes you get that inch back, no pun intended.

It is all about 'stretching the spine'!!!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fatheads diet is honest & works like a charm. It's basically doing the opposite of what govt public hellth nutritrionists have been jamming down our throats. Use cauliflower instead of spuds or breads, eat meats, stay away from grains, lose weight.
By the way, as an aside, White bread & bagels cause lung cancer, not shs.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serious back problems and pain are a big cause of people using the carts. Being unable to stand up and walk any significant distance also makes it very hard to keep weight under control. A friend of mine (in her sixties) who'd always been very active had lots ot arthritic impingement on her spinal nerves, great pain on walking, multiple back operations which would help for a year or two. She ended up having to use the motorized cart, just couldn't stand up and walk long enough to do her shopping otherwise. You start noticing the number of older folks who are walking slowly or stooped because of psin, not because they want to be thst way. I developed a lot more sympsthy & understanding after I saw what was happening to her.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Growing up, curviture of the spine was a standard health care concern.....Not so much these days it seems......At the ripe age of single digits, HOJ sympathized with the elderly hunched over.....

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very good points, Fred. We are all need to take responsibility for doing what we can to maintain our health. Almost everyone can exercise. There are even chair and bed exercises. We are what we eat. You are a good role model. 😃😃

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Thanks, but I'd hardly consider myself a good role model. My body is falling apart by the day it seems.

Oh, I know; I can do like some of the really fat guys I've known: They'd refer to themselves as "big guys" as if that made them all manly.

In that spirit, my body is falling apart because I exercise too much.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are a good role model because you're doing what you can to maintain your health. You're doing what you can at your level despite the challenges you're encountering. That is admirable. Now just say thanks or I'll have to heap more compliments on you!!! 😃

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to the day when we can identify lifestyle related medical problems readily.

The sooner we can get people to take a greater personal responsibility over their well being, the sooner we can avoid big medical expenses for unhealthy behavior.

Medicare would be a good place to start. Hopefully, retirees will run with the idea of taking personal responsibility for their good health and show the younger generations how it should be done.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody knows their are puppeteers behind the curtain, pulling the strings. Big Pharma, aka, Pharmafia, is global. In bed with govts all across the globe. Pushing out junk studies that force citizens to take their meds, vaccines, holier than thou pills, while helping the mkultra monarchs brainwash the masses.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicotine is the miracle drug, smoking is the protective barrier. With those two banned, even smokers will soon be zombified.
Hazards of Quitting is an informative study everyone can learn a tip from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home