Sunday, January 08, 2017

AT&T Outage?

John Chiv mentions something about an outage with AT&T services. It's not clear if it is affecting internet. Any other AT&T internet users out there?

My modem seemed to spaz out last night before I turned off the computer. I reset the modem and everything seemed back to normal. Then, this morning, I got up and noticed the lights on the modem weren't all green. I turned on the computer and couldn't connect to the internet despite resetting the modem half a dozen times. I went back to bed.

What else was I supposed to do? Stare at my desktop for hours? I snoozed for an hour or so, got up and tried again and oila! I could connect again. In the back of my mind I wondered if the problem might lie with ATT, but since my modem lights weren't normal, I figured the modem had had enough and needed to be replaced.

Why does this sort of thing always happen on Sundays? If it was Monday I might have been able to go up o Cornerstone Computers in Henderson Center. But, nope, another Sunday based problem. Only thing I could think of is seeing if Staples carried modems.

I'll probably buy a new modem, anyway, and this time get one that offers wifi. I'm no fan of wifi but at least if I had it in the house I could use my wifi only Amazon Fire tablet.

Anyone else having internet problems?

8 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The NY Times has an article about modems and suggested that modems should be replaced every two to three years mainly due to the upgrades made. With a new modem you should notice faster connection times.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I saw a photo once of what happens to modems with age, although in that instance they didn't say how old the modem was.

The capacitors inside the modem were all puffed up and swollen. Wonder what the inside of mine looks like?

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything here in Arcata ok...

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

if using AT&T , if it flashes red then your not getting their signal , makes sense . if after rebooting modem it still flashes red , no signal yet . check your phone to see if that works or if static . chances are with this rain your phone line is getting wet .
and you cannot buy another modem from another source and make it werk for AT&T , you can only use their modem

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"you cannot buy another modem from another source and make it werk for AT&T , you can only use their modem"

I was worried about that. I was thinking that was the neat thing buying this modem from ATT: set up was real easy. Other ones I've had I could never quite get to connect.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Damn! ATT used to have a store on South Broadway but that's long gone. I just went up to their web site hoping to find modems for sale but couldn't find anything except instructions for installing a "third party" modem. Might be something there. I'm not feeling well so didn't have the energy to put into the search.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

if modem is going bad and you are on AT&T , call repair service 611 , its their equipment and should be replaced free
but you do have to go thru menu tree on phone and prolly wait a few weeks till they can get to you with the storm and all

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

", its their equipment and should be replaced free..."

Cool. I didn't know they did that. Reminds me of back in the days of Ma Bell when they owned all the phone lines and equipment. One good thing about that was if your phone stopped working right, their service guys would come by the house and give you a new phone in exchange for your old one.

The downside, kinda, was when they broke up Bell Telephone, they either wanted their phones back, or you had to buy them. I gave them one back and bought the other which I still have today, for around $70.00- pricey at the time- but they'd allow you to pay it off a bit at at time on your phone bill, which is what I did.

It kinda freaked me out when that all started. Back then we didn't have thousands of home phones for sale all over the place. They told me I had to get a new phone or buy theirs. I didn't know where to get a new phone so bough theirs. That tacked a few dollars on to my phone bill each month until I had it paid off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home