Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Aurora Alert

Earth/ Sky News tells us a coronal hole in the sun is creating geomagnetic storms that might create auroras for Earth viewers. Might being my word. They tell us best chances to see the aurora are from 60 degrees latitude northward, which leaves Eureka out. We're at 40 degrees latitude- yes, I had to look that up. Never mind the incessant fog and clouds that usually block astronomic events.

So why do I bring this up? Seems to me some years ago there was an aurora visible in Eureka. I'm pretty sure I saw it but didn't think much of it or know what it was until I read about it in the news the next day. Might have been more interesting if had I known what I was looking at. Keep your eyes to the northern sky and maybe predictions will be off and we can see it.

Some answers to commonly asked questions about Northern Lights here.

1 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I remember that, I lived in manila at the time. It looked like the sky was on fire over the ocean, all reds and oranges...must have been in '89 or '90..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home