Monday, January 02, 2017

New Recycling System In S.F. But Not Eureka?

I was just checking the City Garbage web site to see if they were open today and found them announcing a new recycling system they've put in place for their San Francico operation. City Garbage (Recology) handles waste down there. I first misread and thought they were doing it up here, only to read further and find it's just down there. I left a comment asking for some pictures of the new system in operation or even a diagram.

I still wonder why they don't have a guy or two screening the trash for recyclables as it's dumped off? I've seen all kinds of recyclable stuff thrown in with the trash. I remember one asian guy pulling up in a pick up full of cardboard and dumping it in with the trash, not apparently realizing he could have disposed of that stuff for free on the other side of the depot. 

Now they have recycling bins near where the cars back up to dump, although whether it would have helped that guy I don't know. Maybe he doesn't read english?

They used to let some of their off duty employees sort through the trash for recyclables. I knew one of them from my days working at juvenile hall. He told me he did pretty well doing it sometimes. Maybe they should do that again?

5 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the idea a few years back of having trash and recycling bins outfitted with id tags so a truck equipped with cameras and the ability to weigh trash and recyclables could charge by weight and fine for recyclables in the trash bin. I thought it was a great idea and it is cause its already in use in Europe. Why it is not in the U.S.??????

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think recycling pays for itself. In the South, nobody recycles. I say do away with it. Another liberal idea gone bad.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does his being Asian have anything to do with it? I.E. "I saw some guy dumping cardboard"

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Because maybe that's why he didn't know he could have dumped the cardboard at recycling for free?

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"I don't think recycling pays for itself."

You are right. I've read it often doesn't, which is one reason you have to pay for recycling pick up now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home