Monday, September 01, 2008

I'm Hacking

So, I brought out my laptop to do any necessary program upgrades. I try to do that a couple times a month, otherwise it can take forever to do all the windows, firewall and anti- virus updates all at once.

I checked to make sure the radio- the thing that connects to wireless networks- is disabled. Then I wondered if were are any wireless networks nearby so I enabled the radio to see what signals I could get.

I did pick up one, and only one, strong wireless signal and it wasn't a secured network. So I tried connecting and it worked. I'm using it right now to write this post.

This is kinda neat although I'm not sure how ethical it is. I know some states have laws against such things. Doesn't matter. I prefer hard line DSL, anyway, if it's available and I do have hard line DSL. Nice to know this is available, though.

The name of the network is a somebody's last name. I'll have to ask my new next door neighbor what her last name is. Who needs government to provide wireless when your neighbors provide it for you?

4 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bwa, ha, ha, ha ... you fell into my trap of logging into my free wireless network. I have now copied your hard drive and tracked all your login and password information.

If you had used my Yoggie virus and wireless network protection, you'd have been safe:

http://www.tsblogs.com/techblog/2008/01/thumb_drive_deflector_shield.html

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Doesn't a firewall prevent people putting stuff on, or spying on, your computer?

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Checking the link you supplied, I remember reading the story earlier on. I have Zonelabs firewall and anti- virus on both the laptop and this tower. Don't have anything that I know of as "security" software other than that.

I'll have to admit I was thinking yesterday that something might of gotten into the laptop as it seemed to be running much slower than usual for a while. Then I realized an anti- virus scan had been running. Also, the wireless connection started out strong at 56mps but by the time I was done the connection was rated Fair at 11mps.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as ethics, your computer is requesting an IP address from their router and their router is saying, "Sure, here you go."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home