Sunday, June 26, 2005

Other Humboldt Blogs

I thought I'd get away from strictly political stuff today and comment on some of the other local blogs, at least the ones I'm aware of. I only found two listed in Humguide: Mine and This North Coast Place.

TNCP seems to be pretty well kept up, unlike some blogs that haven't been posted to for weeks. The blogger, Bill Kowinski from Arcata, is one of those rare local bloggers that actually identifies himself. He seems to deal with a lot of outdoor issues as of late, specifically earthquakes. I found his last few posts interesting reading and made my first comment on his blog today. Looks like I'm the only one that's ever commented on his blog, at least from what shows from the last few posts. I'll have to bookmark that one. Hey, any blogger who uses his own name deserves to have at least a few visits to his blog.

Flip It Off by "Stringy", is another one I check every day and make a comment on every now and then. Stringy posts comments here fairly often so I figure I might as well return the favor. Haven't been visiting his blog for too long so don't know what he really tends to write about. Seems to write about pretty much whatever strikes his fancy at the time. I suppose I kinda do the same but I tend to try to deal with local politics most of the time.

The Plazoid is one of those where the blogger writes anonymously. I find anonymous bloggers somewhat annoying if only because I find it disturbing that people don't want themselves linked to their written opinion. Nonetheless, his is a political type page so I figure I should visit it every day and see what's up. He seems to deal with issues surrounding the Arcata Plaza and related issues like homelessness. His blogs tend to ramble a bit and I have a hard time following his line of thought some of the time.

The Buhne Tribune is probably my favorite local blog, if only cause I like his writing style. I'd hoped, when I started my blog, to come up with the same sort of satirical commentary he does, at least occasionally. He uses the pen name Captain Buhne, which although could be considered as posting anonymously, doesn't bother me in this case since the site is usually prone to satire and I think it fits in well. His last couple of posts seem more along the line of serious commentary but generally I find his writing quite entertaining. He's gotten some attention, too, as the North Coast Journal wrote a short piece on his irreverent commentary not long ago. Well done, Cap'n!

Arkley's Propoganda is an attempt to slam Rob Arkley, the local developer and philanthropist. Looks like the blogger, Sean Ryan of Eureka, doesn't have much slam ammo as he hasn't made a post since May 31. I keep checking back to see if anything new shows up. Eventually I'll probably give up since it might be just another abandonded blog at this point.

Those are the only local ones I have bookmarked and check regularly. Seems to me I must have seen some others but, since they're not listed on Humguide, I have no way of remembering them or finding them without doing a lengthy web search. If you know of any good ones I've missed, let me know about them.

6 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are numerous local blogs, but most are of a personal nature.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Dave Berman said...

The GuvWurld blog is at http://guvwurld.blogspot.com. This is the origin of the Voter Confidence Resolution which will be getting a hearing from the Arcata City Council on July 6. I know you wrote about this a while ago and seeing as how it has continued to evolve (it is really quite different than it was when you last critiqued it) you may want to check it out again. Also see the Guide for some context.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Ooops! Sorry Dan, forgot about guvworld. Probably because, I have it bookmarked in a different folder than the other blogs I follow.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Thanks for the notice. You got me right, I post whatever happens to pop into my head when I have time to write.

Stringy

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Captain Future said...

What is this, networking or something? Thanks for the mention---I do a number of other blogs (besides This North Coast Place and the related North Coast Texts)and I'm about to centralize them, so I'll drop by soon with that info.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger the PLAZOID said...

huhne is an asshole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home