Friday, December 16, 2005

Salzman Makes Headlines

Was it just a slow news day? I can't imagine why the State Attorney General's decision not to prosecute Salzman for writing letters to the editor under assumed names qualifies as a headline story in both the Eureka Reporter and the Times- Standard (photo of the headline viewable at the link). Maybe it's just one more way of getting a dig in at Salzman now that the matter will be dropped? In fairness, I guess a lot of people, myself included, were interested in the outcome of that affair. Making a headline story out of it, though?
***********
Finally got to see what one of our local right wing commentators looks like. Chris Wennerholm (I have no idea if she's any relation to local LPer, Will Wennerholm) had another piece published in the Eureka Reporter today. The guest opinions in that paper seem to always have an accompanying photo. With the first name, I used to be under the impression she was a guy but something I read somewhere straightened me out.

I might well agree with some of her comments but I find her blind nationalism and partisanship frightening. She's one of those My Country Right or Wrong types, or so she gives the impression. Someone needs to get her to start her own blog. Maybe I'll suggest it as I continually get e-mails from her forwarded to me by a local LPer in Fortuna. From the amount of mail she sends out Chris seems to have a lot of time on her hands.

If Chris did decide to put up a blog, it would be interesting to see which one I would find more disturbing. Could she beat the current winner on my Scariest Right Wing Blogs List, Patriotic Mom? Patriotic Mom is your stereotypical, blind nationalist, War Party, christian gal. I check her blog every day and do indeed find it disturbing but, no, I don't leave nasty comments. Can Chris beat her? Start a blog, Chris, and let the games begin!

PS: I don't really have a list of SCARY blogs of any kind, but, of the blogs I visit every day, Patriotic Mom is the most bothersome to me.

12 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's no worse then the DUI rampage that was going on with the Newscaster. It is too bad that they won't take him to court and run him through the ringer a couple of times. I guess this means it is OK to spam local newspapers now. I can't wait to see the chaos.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Pamela Reece said...

Gee Fred..I am shocked! Come read my blog today and answer my question, please.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

My answer to Patriotic Mom, that I added to her Comments:

If you noticed, I added a PS at the bottom of that post that said I don't really have a list of SCAREY (sic?), Right Wing Blogs.

I just found yours to be the most "SCAREY", as far as the Right Winger blogs, cause it's based on blind nationalism, perpetual war, and all else that has caused so much harm to this country and the world.

I actually think that you're a sweetie. I have some fairly good friends here in my town that think much along your lines. At the same time, I have a hard time believing they'd actually follow the blind nationalism they follow if they realized where that leads.

They too, follow along with that effort to whip us into a martial fervor. I don't have a problem with military action, per se, but none of this has anything to do with defending our "freedom". The biggest threat to freedom in this country lies within ourselves and the politicians and bureaucrats make up our government

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Pamela Reece said...

My answer back:

Fred,

Yes, I saw your PS...however, you still did not answer my question. Why am I so "scary"?

I am not based upon "blind nationalism" nor am I for "perpetual war". In fact, I hate war. However, I feel I must support our troops and their mission. If we don't, then one can not proclaim themselves to be a true patriot.

Fred, I was a Democrat all of my life (if you had read my blog you'd know this). It was Clinton who ruined this for me. His "indescretions" disgraced me and my country. I began to learn that the democratic ways were not mine as are many who moved from one party to another.

All I would ask of you, Fred, is to try and understand that I am a loving, caring person. The agenda of my blog is not to sway others to my thoughts or beliefs, but rather just to share them. If others disagree, well, that's fine with me. I am open and willing to listen to everything. I am just astounded that you would consider my blog to be scary or radical.

Also, I realize I am "a work in progress"..please go back and read my post entitled "my religion". I am a humbled human being who is eagar to learn and understand. So, with that said, thank you for your comment. However, Fred, you still did not directly answer my question...What makes me so scary?

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

As Pam might have noticed, I made my response on her blog so go there if interested. Boy, I got all kinds of hits from her blog. I'll have to stir things up like this again someday.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Pamela Reece said...

Hey, maybe we need to shake things up a bit on one another's blog so we can both get more hits!

Thanks for your insight and your response. What you are saying is not foriegn to me. I just dont agree.

I think the one thing we agree on is being civil and adult when it comes to lively debates. You're not a lawyer are you? :-)

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Nope, not a lawyer.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Mike's America said...

Poor ole Fred: If he thinks Pamela's blog is scary... well he'd better stay away from mine... which is even SCARIER!

I'm not half as nice as Pamela and even SCARIER!

Pamela: Have you ever wondered that maybe Fred is scared by the fact that one day he may have to face up to his responsibility for being so very wrong about so very much and how many millions of people have suffered from the unrelenting drumbeat of defeatism that Fred and company represent?

11 million Iraqis voting for the first truly free and democratic Arab government must be a scary thing for ole Fred.

Uncovering mass graves of tens of thousands of children and hundreds of thousand of adults must be a scary thing for the folks like Fred to claim to care so much about innocent life.

The Fred's of the world must have been scared when Iraqis danced in the streets after the fall of Hussein, just as the Freds where probably scared when the Berlin Wall came tumbling down and the threat of nuclear annihilation was ended by that Scary President Reagan.

Fred should be scared. Not of you, or any Republican. But of himself and the lies he so eagerly lapped up that condemned millions to a living nightmare.

That nightmare was only put to rest because of scary people like you and me Pamela.

Merry Scary Christmas Fred!

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Fred,
Here's the flip side of Pam's "scariness".
http://whenyourerightyoureright.blogspot.com/2005/12/my-country-always-wrong.html

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Not sure I get the "flip side" part but the guys writes well. Thanks. I've added him to my blog list to see how he does over time. Looks like he just started his blog.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Boy his last post was a bit lengthy for my attention span.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as the grandson of Chris Wennerholm, whose name needs not be divuldged, if my grandma did start a blog it wouldn't be for the purpose of "competing" for the prize of your scariest blog. Back off

 

Post a Comment

<< Home