Monday, December 12, 2005

We're Running Out Of OIL!!!

At least a lot of people claim we are. I don't know about that. Found some statistics in an article up at lewrockwell.com today that, if accurate, are pretty reassuring in that we aren't anywhere near to running out of oil or any other form of energy in the foreseeable future. This guy's commentary, while a bit lengthy for my attention span, shows how much energy we supposedly have in reserves and how much is used each year on the planet. I hope his figures are right. The figures are at the beginning so you don't have to read the whole thing.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

From what I've researched it seems to me that there are good arguements for oil being abiotic and a self-repleneshing resource.
The oil companies claim scarcity in order to keep prices high.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I've read some stuff on the abiotic theory and it makes a lot more sense to me than oil coming from decayed plants and animals.

For those that haven't heard about this, some are saying oil is produced by some process involving methane gas, or some such, and super compressed to form oil and that it's an ongoing process within the planet.

As I said, makes more sense to me than the dinosaur stuff but seems to me man might still be capable of overconsuming it, using it faster than it's produced..maybe. Doesn't seem likely in the forseeable future from the stats in that lewrockwell article, though, whether oil comes from methane or dinosaurs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home