Sunday, July 02, 2006

He Left His Heart...

in San Francisco.

So Jim Steinberg, our Public Defender for quite a few years, is retiring. He's going to move to San Francisco. I'll never understand that.

First; Why someone would live somewhere for 29 years when he's had the means and desire to live somewhere he'd rather be, in this case San Francisco. Second; Sure, I've always said each to their own, but I'll never understand how anybody would want to live in San Francisco.

I've spent a little time down there as of late and I'll admit it's not that bad, but I can't imagine anyone thinking of San Francisco as a place they can't wait to get home to. Too crowded and hard to get around in. But, I'll say it again: Each to their own.

I wouldn't mind moving out of Humboldt County myself, even though I do consider this place home. I wouldn't want to move anywhere in California though. Oh, I guess I like Shasta and Siskiyou counties and wouldn't mind trying those places out, but I'd rather move out of state.

But I don't have the means to and it's highly unlikely I ever will. In the meantime, at least I'm stuck in a place I'm comfortable with and do consider home. Can't complain too much about that.

9 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Heraldo Riviera said...

If you own your home you could probably sell it and buy a bigger one in a different state. Lots of people have done that within the last year from what I read. People sell their small house and then move to Missouri (for example) and buy a big one on five acres.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Even if I sold my home, we wouldn't have enough money to live on. We have pretty hefty medical bills coming in for the foreseeable future.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

I miss San Francisco at times, but it's not the same city I was raised in and around. When I visit, I drive through the old neighborhoods, with the bookstores and coffee houses I used to frequent, and I start to get teary-eyed.

Then I start looking for a parking spot and the tears dry right up.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Fred,
What you lack is the will. A couple of quotes from Miguel de Cervantes y Savedra: 1)"There is a remedy for everything but death." 2) "Look always forward. In last year's nests there are no birds this year."

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, perhaps. Also to consider the wife would never want to move away from her family and the vast majority of them live here in Eureka.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope things are going well for you and your wife, Fred. As well as they can. Best to you, and to her. There is alot here that is good.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

" Also to consider the wife would never want to move away ..."
A major and worthy consideration. Anon 3:01 is right. There is indeed a great deal that is good, not the least of which are those such as you and Connie as well as many with which ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ may disagree.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ, Fred and Connie are very much part of the good.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The legions of the hopefuls who choose to "move on" are great. Likely, Jim just couldn't take it anymore, seeing his lifes blood dripping away into the bottomless pit of local reactionary ignorance, progresive intolerance, and poverty mentality.

Enjoy your self imposed imprisonment. Don't regret not soaring with the eagles when you're comfortable down here with the turkeys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home