Friday, January 05, 2007

How Dare They!?

The nerve of PG& E letting the power go out right in the middle of town yesterday. Hey, it's one thing to have the power go out in the outlaying communities. You folks out there are used to it, but here in the middle of Eureka? I don't think so!

I guess it must have been about three o'clockish when the power went out. I was outside so didn't know what time it was. Then the wifey comes out and says the power was out and she wasn't sure how to deal with the computer since it was still on.

That was about the only almost fun thing about the power outage. We have two of those Uninterruptible Power Supplys that the computers are hooked up to. I believe this is the first time they actually got to do their thing.

They're only meant to keep the computer running long enough to safely shut it down without losing data. I'm not sure exactly how long the Alienware computer would run on the power supply alone, but yeserday it proved it was long enough.

That didn't really matter, as far as data was concerned, since the wifey was just playing her game, tossing eggs. Still, it's nice to know those things work.

I highly recommend them. The smaller one costs less that $100, I believe. The size you want depends on how much power your system draws. A look at the box they come in should give you an idea of what size you need.

As far as everything else, I guess we're as screwed as anyone else, although we do have a gas stove. Our heating is gas but, being forced air, if the electric fan that moves the warm air doesn't work, you can't heat the house anyway.

We lucked out the outage only lasted for no more than maybe two hours, or so.

Good job on getting power restored, PG@ E, but let's not let this happen again.

4 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger *TheMermaid* said...

No kidding huh?? I think I just missed the action in the neighborhood, got home from work through blinking stop lights. But I heard about it on khum.

Just as I had been bragging about how eeeeeveryone's power went out last week (or two now) but ours... contrary to last year's mayhem living in Sunnybrae. Eesh. Our power was out for FOUR days during all that. It's tough to read by candlelight.

Squeeked by on that one. I'm just glad I didn't have to suffer thru no comp no movies no music no light. The headlamp is still safely tucked away...

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah. I was just glad the power came back on before dark. I probably have enough batteries for my flashlight, but what would I do without TV or the computer?

Oh, and it would have really gotten cold without the heater working. Got down to at least 28 degrees this morning.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Joel Mielke said...

It snowed for a few minutes in Carson Park just after the power went out.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. I saw that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home