Friday, January 12, 2007

Ron Paul in 2008?

Looks like Congressman Ron Paul, Republican from Texas, has filed papers to form an exploratory committee for a run for the White House in 2008. This seems like good news to me, at first glance.

Problem is, when I heard the first rumblings about this earlier today, there was only speculation as to what party's nomination he'd be seeking. Turns out, he'll be seeking the Republican nomination, a long shot at best.

Ron Paul, as some of you may know, ran for president back in 1988 on the Libertarian Party ticket. When I first got word of him running again this morning, I'd hoped he might run with the LP, not that I thought that would go anywhere.

I'll have to say, of all the other names I've seen thrown out as possible presidential candidates from all parties, including the Libertarian, I haven't been impressed with any of them.

There actually was one, a Democrat (for perhaps the first time in my life), that actually had me a bit interested, but I lost interest in him just recently.

So, since I'm 99.9% certain Paul will fail to get the Republican nomination, looks like I might be stuck with casting a protest vote for whoever the LP candidate is in 2008. Either that, or not vote at all.

14 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should not vote at all, ever.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Derchoadus said...

The country can't afford another war mongering Texan in the White House (LBJ, Bush41, Bush43). Im amazed that any Republican would want to follow 43. The smartest thing would be to let the Dems have it.
The next president is going to have to stomp on the flaming bag of dog crap that Bush is leaving on the White House front step. Whoever it is, will end up with crap all over their shoes....

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron Paul is a "war mongering Texan". And I'm Pope ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ LXIX

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Derchoadus said...

Yeah, and the history of Papacy is full of peace....Your Holyness.

I was just pointing out that the recent history of Texican Presidents is not something the country needs next term.

And VP's also:
There's a clause in the Constitution that forbids any Presidential nominee to nominate anyone from his own state as Vice President - which is why Cheney had to split Texas in the dead of night and register in his home state of Wyoming in order to get the nod in 2000

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Oh come on! You guys need some new blood!

How about that stripper with the pink boxing gloves who ran a few years back?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"I was just pointing out that the recent history of Texican Presidents is not something the country needs next term.".

When was the last time any American president, Dem or Rep, didn't start some sort or continue some sort of military action?

Maybe Carter? I can't remember. I do know Johnson, a dem, was a big hawk on the Viet Nam war. Nixon, a rep, ended our military involvement there.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Derchoadus said...

I didn't say anything about Rep or Dem, I was talking about Texas. It's about that special Texas 'attitude' that I worry about. Kinda shoot from the hip, stubborn cowboy, everything's bigger/better 'attitude'.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a life-time progressive Democrat, let me say that I could seriously consider voting for Ron Paul.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on. Bush as held the office twice. That's proof enough that qualifications don't matter one iota. Two things matter. #1 party endorsement. #2 influence (as measured by money, access the electoral infrastructure, etc.).

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

inquiring minds want to know..... who was the democrat that got you interested??

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'll try and remember to bring it up tommorow, Rob. I believe someone else might of asked, earlier, but I'm having an Aces High moment, at least for some days now.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Oh, almost forgot about this thread:

Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico, piqued my interest, although I'll admit to not having followed him too closely.

I figured there'd be no way he'd win the primary, anyway. But, I lost interest in him after reading some Schwarzzenesque type comments he made not long ago regarding global warming.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron Paul is alright. He's down with the 9/11 Truth Movement, being that unlike most right-wingers, he actually cares about this country. Down with the liars and traitors in the White House!

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron Paul was born in Pittsburgh, PA and if you think he is a "war-mongering Republican," then you are an idiot.

He is one of only 6 Republicans to vote against giving Bush the authority to attack Iraq.

Check your facts, then VOTE RON PAUL !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home