Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Weather

I guess I must have really "jumped the shark"- or however someone put it some time ago- with this blog if all I can write about is the weather, but I have to vent about this crappy weather we've had in Eureka for however long. I'm sick of this cold weather with the added insult to injury of the fog we've had of late.

There doesn't seem to be any change in store soon, although weather.com does show it getting maybe a little warmer as we get into February. I'll believe it when I see it.
*******

Eric Kirk mentioned the other day, on his post about the Clam Beach Run, that the Little River was lower than he remembered it being last time he ran. That got me to thinking that it hasn't really rained in some time. Might we be facing another drought, the last one we had ending back in '92?

Apparently some are thinking we might be, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. I guess we're short of rain around the state, with the north part of the state faring slightly better than the south. One thing in that Chron story was a bit of a surprise: I thought that last drought lasted around ten years. The Chron article says it was only six years. Just another sign of my failing memory.

The Chron story once again illustrates the geographical confusion of the media in regards to the state. They apparently consider Redding part of Northwest California, mentioning some Redding weather stats with no mention of Eureka.

I kind of wondered how Eureka was faring compared to the rest of the state. Thanks to the Times- Standard (hard copy version) I can see Eureka's gotten 17.06 inches of rain since July 1. That's down from the norm of 21.47 inches. I think that's over 60% so I guess we're close to Redding.

It will be interesting to see if we still end up getting a wet spring after this miserably cold dry winter. All I really care about, though, is that it starts warming up a bit.


12 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you expect Fred? You're so wishy washy that you refuse to ask tough questions that might make you unpopular with certain readers.

Blogs are for controversy and free speech, its what keeps them alive. Course your lack of controversy are indicative of the mealy mouthed behavior of the Libertarian party who simply refuses to offend anybody.

Funny...I thought Libertarians were more concerned with peoples rights than being popular. I'll point out that those who try to shut you and other bloggers up do so to maintain the corrupt status quo.

Grow some balls Fred.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Grow some balls Fred.".

Ouch! Boy, you sure told me!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Can anyone tell me what the "corrupt status quo" really is?

Like in Arcata, does that mean the Green party? Like in Humboldt County? Or does it only work when you want it?

I've just wondered.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

Grow some balls Fred.

Yeah, Fred! You talk about the weather, but when are you Libertarians going to do something about it ?!??!!!

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut up Hank. You're one of many blue dog democrats that hate third parties. Thus your pro staus quo opinion isn't worth shit.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Hank would spend as much time learning how to write as he spends making snot nosed comments on blogs the NCJ would actually be worth reading.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hank, stick to the size issues.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Joel Mielke said...

These anonymous fellows are gutsy aren't they? Witty too.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was pissing pretty good about a month ago or more, but then it stopped raining and got colder than shit! Did you already say that? Anyhow, I pert near froze my balls off!

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things I have learned about the weather from the Main Stream Media in the last three months:

The Polar Ice Caps are melting fast.

It is all our fault.

The Polar Bears are going extinct.

That too is all our fault.

Right now, our Earth is hotter than it has been any time in the last ten thousand years.

You guessed it. Our fault.

Yet my own eyes tell me the level of the Pacific Ocean has not changed at all during my whole long life. That's probably my fault, too.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yes it probably is. You may make fun of global warming, but I understand NASA has determined the ice caps on Mars are receding as well. That just goes to show how far away human activity has an effect.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right 9:48, high school biology was complete lies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home