Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Couple Things:

I wasn't going to get involved, at least not too much, in the controversy over the recent Clinton appearance. But, since it's still in the news,with the Times- Standard roasting the parties involved in their editorial this morning, and the editor posting a mildly harsh critique on his blog, I will say a couple things:

Although I didn't even try and attend, I think criticism of the parties involved is mostly uncalled for, at least to the extent some of it has gone.


Sure, things could have been handled better...if the local Democrats had a little more warning and a bit more experience. They had only a day or so to put together their part of the affair and little experience in such a large event. After all, when was the last time they had someone of Clinton's stature visit their home turf?

They did the best they could under the circumstances and given the resources they had.

I'll even stand up for the Clinton folks, despite being a current Hillary hater and past Billy hater.

They had a number of things to look at in putting together the event and very limited time to do it in a place they'd never been before. This wasn't the only event they had to put together that day,either, having left a similar one in Napa County just hours before.

Not an easy thing to do, one appearance after another, hundreds of miles apart, on the same day. They did the best they could under the circumstances and the time they had available.

I'm sure all parties involved will try to do better next time, assuming there is a next time.

Enough said on that.
*********
I'm sure I see red just like most people when I hear of yet another heavy duty case of animal cruelty and neglect. This latest one, where a place out in the Ridgewood area of Cutten had a bunch of dead and dying animals got me going.

Until someone brought up the point that the family involved hasn't been seen since the day after Christmas. What happened to them? Made me wonder if they're one of those families you hear about every now and then that went to go visit the snow and got lost or some such?

Noel Adamson was the one that brought that to my attention, in a comment on the story on the Times- Standard web site. He made a good point that the missing family might be as big, or bigger, story than the the animals they apparently left behind.

Only time will tell what actually happened.

9 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Thank you, Fred! You are a peach!

Say, does this mean you like Billy now?

Whew! What a week!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"does this mean you like Billy now?".

I wouldn't go that far. Heck, if someone could remind me of the many reasons for my past passionate hatred of him, I'd be happy to try to hate him again.

I just call things the way I see them and try to be fair to all concerned. I even added a Hillary link to the sidebar of this blog.

Certainly I'm under no obligation to be even handed in what links I have on my blog. It's my blog and I'll put whatever links I want on it. But, I decided I wanted to at least give the front page of this blog the appearance of inclusiveness so I added a Hillary link.

To make it even better for the Democrats, once Paul loses his bid for the nomination, I'll remove his link, provided he doesn't start a third party run for president. Hillary's will stay unless she loses her bid for the nomination.

Am I a great guy, or what? I know what all you Democrats are thinking but, no, no need to nominate me as the 2008 Humboldt Politico of the Year. I'd do the same for anybody, so no thanks necessary. I'm here to help!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Carol said...

I like your sense of humor, Fred.

Did you hear Clinton's speech or watch the video?

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I listened to a few minutes of the beginning of it on NPR. Actually, it was on that one TV station that does NPR stuff. They ran a little of it, then seemed to cut it off, then started again and cut off.

I finally gave up. I wanted to watch Law and Order, anyway.

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred the issue really isn't that "they" screwed the pooch and "they" did. It's really a back lash at the hollier-than-thou prigishness "they" have promoted in our community the last 20ish years. If you're a progressive you're way cool. If you are moderate or conservative you're a fool. I think people are sick and tired of that bull shit and are simply seeing"they" in the clear light for a change. The same should be clear about Clinton using our community this poorly.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred thanks for taking the big boy approach on the whole TIRED Clinton deal. So it wasn't perfect. So it was cold. So you stood in line and didn't get to see ol' Billy. Get over it already!!! Brother! The local radio stations did an excellent job on their broadcasts and I for one am just happy I got to hear it. I stood in line with my kid but no big deal not everyone was going to get in. Lets move on. His speech was excellent and I for one would be inclined to vote for Hillary if I was out of my mind and had no clue as to what that would really bring to this country.
The Dead animals and missing family is way more interesting. Why would a "family" have so many reptiles and where could they have gone? Seems like more foul play is afoot in this story than that crazy Clinton mishap.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Seems like more foul play is afoot in this story...".

I hadn't really considered foul play, although that's always a possibility. I was wondering if maybe they all drove off the road somewhere and died, their bodies still in their car as I write? Things like that happen much more often than we'd like to think.

But I would think, after this much time, the Sheriff's Dept. would have considered them missing and let be known their names and perhaps a photo asking people to help locate them whether they suspected foul play, or not.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The paper said a neighbor said they had seen no one since December 26. I wonder what kind of relationship the neighbor had with these folks? Maybe not seeing them for long periods of time was not unusual? I am sure the detectives of the HCSO will get the answers that plague us. Waiting to hear more on the matter. Not being very fond of reptiles I wonder how many will be able to be placed in good homes if the case gets adjudicated. It also mentioned that authorities were called because of the odor. How much more odor could have been coming from the trailer considering there were so many to begin with? Ferrets smell all the time I'm thinking the "neighbors" were not in the habit of "chatting over the fence". This case is certainly curious.

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed- if we are not going to pay attention to what bushco is going to do to us for another year! then we may as well pay more attention to our own community-
i.e.: making sure we find the people that left those poor creatures and make them suffer in a similar manner-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home