Tuesday, February 26, 2008

OH's: Save The Recipes!

I think I might have been in O.H.'s one time in my life long, long ago. I don't actually remember much of it, so maybe I didn't eat there, but I do remember the steaks on display in the cooler.

Many others have, though, and one common thing I've heard about O.H.'s is they had great onion rings. That and one other thing got me to thinking how we certainly don't want great recipes tossed into the dust bin of history.

One other guy actually had one of their recipes, given to him by O.H. himself. From the Times- Standard comments:

While my wife and I no longer live in Eureka, whenever we have the occasion to return there one of the draws was always the opportunity to have a wonderful Prime Rib dinner at O.H.s. We have never found Prime Rib as good as served there anywher else in the country. We know that the secret of course was O.H.s seasoning. Years ago when I was with the Sheriff;s Office, O. H. who was county supervisor at the time spent the day witn me and Robert Shaw on patrol on the Klamath River. At that time, I asked him for the recipe and he gave it to me and my wife. During our moving over the years, we have lost that recipe and we are wondering if Mayor Bass would be willing to share it with us again.

Jon and Dottie Williams
10147 First St.
Plainview, Arkansas 72857

jondot587 at cei.net

I'm sure Virginia will get that recipe to him right away.

I actually know the "Robert Shaw" the guy refers to. He's an old friend that worked at Humboldt Bay Power Plant with me. Wonder if he wrote down that recipe?

But what about those onion rings? How about it Virginia? Gonna tell us how they're done? We don't want such a great Humboldt creation lost for future generations.

Maybe you could sell the recipe to some other restaurant? If not, maybe you could have it published in one of the local paper's cooking sections? We don't want this lost.
*******
It's happened to me before. One of my favorite munchies in Humboldt used to be the deep fried potatoes at Tom's Sourdough Pizza in Myrtletown, Eureka. I loved those things. Some people called them Mojos.

They were big slices of potatoes, dipped in some kind of batter and then deep fried. Never had any others like them.

I used to be a regular at Tom's, back when I lived in Myrtletown. I got kind of friendly with the guy that worked the day shift there and tried to coax the recipe out of him. I told him I tried making them on my own but they weren't the same. He wouldn't budge, but he did say, "You might try a little buttermilk with the batter...".

I tried buttermilk and it still wasn't the same. I think what I needed to add was some eggs.

Nonetheless, when Tom's closed its doors, the recipe for the chips went the way of so many other things: relegated to memory.

There's actually a Tom's Sourdough Pizza still operating in Fortuna. All they make is pizza, though.

It seems almost criminal to let the recipe for those chips just disappear.

Let's save those recipes, Virginia!

18 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger Tapperass said...

You make me think on this one Fred. All of these restaurants I wanted to try at one point. Tom's was one of them. However, many of them have closed their doors, so my procrastination will cost me.

However, let's save those recipes!

-boy

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Hayduke said...

I guess it is time to turn this blog into a food critique. By the way, someone should start a blog dedicated to this subject, or is there one hiding somewhere I don't know about?

The prime rib at OH's was good, but the best prime rib around here is at the Cutten Inn on Friday night (Blue Plate Special). They always run out though so make your reservations for early in the evening. Best steaks are at the AA Bar and Grill. Best food is sometimes where you least expect.

As far as Onion Rings go, my favorites are at the Marina Restaurant. They come in a basket that looks like the Exxon Valdez oil spill. By the time you are finished you have grease all over your shirt. Yum.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"but the best prime rib around here is at the Cutten Inn on Friday night (Blue Plate Special).".

Is that the old Cutten Inn, or the new Cutten Inn?

The old one used to get quite a crowd. Since they've opened again, under new ownership, I don't know that I've seen more than a couple cars in the parking lot, but I only drive by there in the afternoon around lunch hour.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Write a book - Virginia - with the historic photos, with the recipes, with the stories, the people that have passed through, the regulars, the waitresses - it would be great!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Rose said...

If not a traditional book - do an OH's blog - post the photos, the recipes, the stories - people can write in with their memories and stories - weddings, anniversaries held at OH's -

It is a historical thing - and it can be done easily with a blog, and saved for a later book, maybe... I'd help ya set it up. (It's a piece 'o cake though.)

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on Rose


Write the book Virginia. There's a lot of history there.

Maybe, like this parade I heard about...OH's will come back sooner than most think

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Good idea.

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, lets save those memories.

Lets see, first the was the food poisoning incident, then there was the back room deal where Harvey Rose met with WalMart, then there was the one when Security National and the current city manager met to discus some old railyard...oh never mind, maybe some of those memories should be forgotten.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait! Is O.H.'s already closed? Or do I have a chance to make a reservation before it closes?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Rose said...

You save 'em all 1:54.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

3:18 wrote,"do I have a chance to make a reservation before it closes?".

I believe it close for the last time on Saturday. I'm thinking of making it there before it closes. Can't guarantee I'll do it, though.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Heather McTaggart said...

I happened across your blog, I went to jr. high and high school in Eureka, graduating in 1981! Yes, I am getting old. I worked at Shakeys from the age 14-17 and those potato's you speak of, are the Mojo's they served there! They were amazing! Having left the day after high school ended I haven't lived near a Shakey's since and don't know if they still serve those!

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred -

Just for the record...

OH's Town House is serving its final meal on Friday, February 29.

If you do not already have reservations, please do not call asking for a booth in the back for Friday night. OH's is already overbooked.

Best recommendation is to show up Thursday or Friday at 4:00 pm when they open the doors and ask if they can fit you in to have a last meal at OH's.

Otherwise plan on showing up after 8:00 pm, having a drink at the bar and hoping someone gets up from their table and that there are not 20-30 people with reservations waiting in front of you.

But even then there are no guarantees you can get a table. It’s been that busy all week long.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Sounds like they need an encore performance - the people are standing and waving lit matches - extend the closing out to next week and let people make reservations!

Back by popular demand ??

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Sounds good to me.

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last Friday, the 22nd, we cooked a steak at home. But to make that last connection before the end, just before starting dinner I went down to OH's and got two orders of the onion rings to go. That was our great exit dinner.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

According to that Eureka Reporter article on the O.H.'s closing that was published a few days ago, Virginia Bass said she'll release the recipe after the place is closed for good.

Don't know if that means it will be in the papers, or that she'll simply tell whoever asks her for the recipe.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

I love those onion rings. They didn't always love me, but I loved them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home