Wednesday, November 26, 2008

SF Plans Car Crackdown

Somewhat troubling news out of San Francisco again, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Looks like powers- that- be down there want to start charging drivers possibly up to $6.00 a day extra. The idea being if they make it even more expensive to drive, less people will drive, reducing congestion.

Probably some truth to that but I certainly don't like the idea of someone sticking a gun to my head and telling me I have to pay up or not drive in a certain part of town.

Looking closer, at the map in the article's sidebar, the two current plans won't affect anywhere we currently drive down there, unless we end up going to the Cathedral Hill Hotel.

Also, to be fair, these tolls would supposedly only apply during commute hours. Once again, we're lucky because we've been avoiding commute hours down there lately. Still, I have a hard time believing this is as far as it will go.

There's some mention in the article of possibly even charging the toll at the Golden Gate Bridge, nevermind they just raised the bridge fee from $5.00 to $6.00.

This is getting scary. How would you like it if you're driving up 101 to Oregon and they stop you at the south end of Eureka and say you can't drive any further unless you pay $5.00 or $10.00 to the City of Eureka?

Leave it to San Francisco. Just one more reason to stay clear of the place. Too bad some of us have to go down there.

5 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least the High Court reversed their gun ban so I can be appropriately (legally) armed when I go there again.

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's already ridiculous to drive a vehicle into the City . 25 cents in the meter gets only a few minutes . They also got traffic lights that are times do quich your sure to get a ticket and if that ain't enough they'll tow you for the sign you missed .

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SF also puts tickets on cars that are legally parked. I got so mad when that happened to me after a lifetime of loving SF, I vowed not to return. That was about 1986. I live in Eureka where I can trust my police department. And no, I am not being sarcastic.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"SF also puts tickets on cars that are legally parked.".

You sure you weren't parked during the designated street cleaning time? Most streets down there prohibit parking for a couple hours once a week to allow for street cleaning. If you don't move your car for that period of time, you can get ticketed or towed, I believe.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, let me tell you what happened. I parked my car in a zone that had to be clear for the designated street cleaning time between 4:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. (if my memory of the exact hours is accurate after 23 years).

I was staying at a friend's apartment. I slept until 3:30 a.m., got dressed, walked to the car, and at 3:45 a.m. I found a ticket on my windshield.

The ticket was expensive. It may have cost me a week's groceries or maybe two.

I couldn't afford to drive back down to The City to appear in Court, so I had no choice but to pay the ticket.

My response has been not to return. I miss San Francisco, but not those dishonest parking police! Living without them is a pleasure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home