Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Drought

Looks like there's some sprinkles finally showing up on doppler radar. Problem is, even if it rains, the forecast is for only around a quarter of an inch. We're just not getting much rain, but maybe I speak too soon?

This reminds me of the drought we had back in the '80s. We went year after year without much rain. I remember watching Jim Bernard, the TV weather guy. He'd be saying, Next chance of rain looks like...Possibly some rain coming over the weekend... . Then, even if it did rain, it wouldn't amount to much.
*********
The people in Mendocino and Sonoma Counties are gearing up for the drought and announcing possible water rationing. Seems to me it wouldn't hurt to start rationing now instead of waiting until they actually have to. If a miracle happens and they actually get indulged in water, they can stop rationing. Until then, no harm in acting now.

3 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Global warming.

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very sensible suggestion.

 
At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drove by lake mendicino the afternoon. it looks 3/4 dry. The coves were dry and islands were popping up.

The upper russian river looks like a trickle. The Eel could be forged at rio dell. Salmon creek was a looking ready to give up the ghost. Clear lake looked stagnant, but it always does I suppose.

The other day I was on the elk and it was creeping along. Irrigation is becoming tough for the dairy and cattlemen. With the load of sediment filling up the channel and the little water cutting through the mud it is a far cry from what I remember playing in. The lower elk looked like the headwaters area does now with rocks lining the riverbed.

I hope for a few deluge events or else it will be a long, dry, fire ridden year.

Oh gosh... I hope it is not worse than last year.

jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home