Saturday, February 12, 2011

Atlas Shrugged- The Movie

I guess I'll have to watch this movie. I read the book, twice, back in the early eighties and loved it. I'm not sure how well the movie will mirror the book, though. The trailer doesn't make it seem all that appealing.

The big question is whether I'll wait for it to come out in DVD, or watch it in a theater? I used to not mind going to the movies but I stopped doing that years ago. I hate being stuck in those seats. I'll probably find some way to watch it at home.

Funny thing about this movie is that I recall Atlas Shrugged being about Dagny Taggart, a railroad magnate, wanting to go ahead with her business plans without government hindering her. Nowadays the ones pushing all the railroad proposals are either government or businesses wanting government to subsidize them. Doesn't really seem like the movie would make sense when you compare it to the world today.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Blogger Rose said...

It'll be interesting.

Some books shouldn't be made into movies, because the thinking that goes along with reading is more important than anything else.

On the other hand, if the thing is done right and the message gets out to the masses, maybe we can turn things right again in this country before it is too late.

I kinda liked this (fake) trailer better. :)

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous dog said...

Yep Rose...

It's a dialog our society needs but doesn't really want to have. The principle of "Atlas" are compelling and never really embraced.

It's a passionate story and Fred, it's not about Government or Business being in charge......it's about rewarding the creative and competent, a social systems where accountability means something beyond Brown act violations and blog hype.

I hope it's a good test of Ayn's theory and not another condemnation of success.

Imagine a society where the most creative and talented, withdraw and the spin cycle of thinking that attaches to Fox news or MSNBC are abandoned.

Rand had a glimpse of the very best in us and the very worst....something beyond the contrived artificial playing field that nature never considered.

I hope they do a good job with what is a great story and an even more compelling message

Dog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home