Friday, February 14, 2014

New Death Penalty Initiative

The Times- Standard reports on a new death penalty initiative being proposed for circulation. This one will speed up the appeals process for death penalty cases. I doubt I'll be signing it.

I'm generally opposed to the death penalty, but you won't find me out in front of San Quentin protesting planned executions. I think some death penalty cases are richly deserved. I'm just not sure I trust our government and justice system to apply it properly, never mind the idea of an innocent man being convicted.
********
I've wrote before here I wonder whether confessing to the crime in question beforehand should be considered as grounds for dropping the death penalty? Take Richard Allen Davis- The guy who confessed to killing Polly Klass. He admitted to it earlier on and probably saved us all kinds of money and process by doing so. Why not just give him life since he fessed up to it?

Then there's Gary Lee Bullock, the guy accused of killing Rev. Eric Freed. They're considering the death penalty for him. The guy's goose is cooked as the evidence seems overwhelming that he did it, or was at least involved. Yet he's pleading Not Guilty at this point in time. If he fesses up and saves us a lot of trouble, I'm not averse to dropping the death penalty in his case, either.

1 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one of the main flaws in our justice system is the lack of harsher penalties for harsher crimes I mean when a murderer or rapists can get off after spending maybe four to five years in prison there's something wrong I agree that we can't trust the system to do their job right but if criminals started seeing rapists and murderers hanging in town square they might stop committing these atrocities I think the real problem is we simply have too many laws I was reading a statistic the other day that said the average American commits three felonies a day without even knowing it.
THC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home