Sunday, February 09, 2014

Skeptics vs. Believers

Nope. I'm not referring to global warming here. I've been going back and forth on the CNN web site with others for days over the story of that guy that supposedly spent 13 months at sea, showing up a bit over a week ago in the Marshall Islands.

I'll certainly concede he might well have done what he claims. There is evidence that supports his story. I"m also very skeptical if only because of his appearance. I've looked worse after a day at the beach. He should have open sores covered with bandages from sun damage for one thing.

Some believers have said he was probably naturally light skinned and that accounts for his light skin color. Sorry. If he was light skinned he'd probably be in even worse shape. Don't light skinned folks get sunburned faster than dark skinned folks?

A couple of other commentators pointed out he had a cabin on his boat to protect him from the sun. If so, he'd still have to spend a substantial amount of time outside the cabin searching for food,

Then yesterday some commented he was in an open boat, without a cabin. Yet today I hear someone still saying he had a cabin. The picture on the left was taken from the CNN web site and is supposedly the boat he survived in. No cabin, but from the markings that can be seen it seems to be from a spanish country.

No biggie. I'm fascinated by such stories, but still skeptical. What does bother me a bit are those that seem to take everything they read in the news at face value.


3 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Resolve the issue by not caring. No book or movie deals. No profit from his claims. End of story.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, sorry to burst your bubble but while most people do take the news at face value, they also take politics at face value. Most also pretend to take the bible as face value(although in practice they only take the old testament as truth, and even then, only take the portions they like at face value) My point is that people don't like to question anything! Its so much easier to follow than lead....

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

My point is that people don't like to question anything! Its so much easier to follow than lead.....

Agreed, which is at least part of the reason for my last sentence. I'm not sure why that "burst my bubble", unless you're referring to the first comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home