Saturday, February 08, 2014

Our Daily Water Usage

Just got my water bill from January so decided to check what our daily usage was as I alluded to in an earlier post. Unless I'm getting it wrong, my figures show 49 gallons per day on average. Not bad. I just called City of Eureka Water to confirm my figures but got an answering machine. That pissed me off until I realized today is Saturday. 

So here's how I calculated it: It says they recorded 200 cubic feet on the meter last month. I cubic foot equals 7.48 gallons of water, so 200 x 7.48 equals 1496 gallons. Divide total gallons by 31- the number of days in January- and it comes to 48.26 gallons, assuming I'm doing it right. 

Ooops! just noticed they say on the bill how many days they're billing for and it's 33 days instead of 31. So, that comes to only 45.3 gallons. Hard to believe we only use 1496 gallons a month, but when I think of it by day I could see it. Of course, in the summer, depending on how much water goes to the garden, we'll use more.

How much do you folks use?

1 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figure we're closer to about 100 thats only cuz the old lady enjoy her bath Tubs that's not including the garden or the chickens in the summertime its probably closer to like two hundred that with the veggie garden and the chickens. I get my water from a spring that runs probably about 3500 to4000 gal a day when the water tables up just before the rain startd we were getting about 240 gal a day. just 15 years ago we were probably getting closer to six to eight thousand gallons a day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home