Saturday, July 26, 2014

Red Arrow Signals: Be Forewarned

 The Santa Rosa Press- Democrat's Road Warrior column reports that a red right- turn signal has been added to at least one intersection in Santa Rosa. I don't believe I've ever seen one in my life.  They're like the green arrowed turn signals we have up here, except they're to tell people not to turn right when it's red. You're supposed to wait when you see them.

Most know that, as it is, you can usually turn right on a red light after stopping to be sure it's clear. These new lights say you can't until the arrow turns green. Just so you know! Who knows what might be added to our stoplights since we've recently had those big fine warnings added to the stoplights on H and I Streets in Eureka.

Yeah, even at the intersection at Buhne and I Streets that recently had the rollover accident despite the warning.
********
I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before but, for those that don't know, you can also turn left at a red light so long as you're turning from the left lane of a one- way street onto the left lane of another one- way street and it's clear of traffic. 

An example would be where H Street meets Harris Street in Eureka. If you're in the left lane of H Street and come to a red light at Harris, you can turn into the left lane of Harris as long as it's clear and you can do so safely. I've been behind people a number of times at that intersection that just sit an wait until the light turns green to turn left. You don't have to do that so long as you can turn left safely and there's no sign saying you can't. I'm surprised at how many people don't seem to know that.

4 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I learned something potentially useful on this blog. I just come here occasionally to keep up on what libertarians are thinking. Thank you. :-)

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like we will be losing the only cultural difference between New York and California according to Woody Allen in that Californians can turn right on a red light. (I think this was from his film "Annie Hall".)

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While on the traffic subject, last Wed (7/23) @ 3:00pm, I witnessed a white PT Cruiser 6ACM597, come to a partial stop on Bayside rd @ Buttermilk Ln., look at a bicyclist, heading West on Buttermilk @ aprox 17mph. The driver of the PT Cuiser then proceded to make a left turn onto Buttermilk, immediately in front of the bicyclist. I was driving behind the bicycle at a safe distance as the bicyclist was able to slow and swerve to avoid collision with the vehicle.

As a former CHP officer and motorcycle rider, I would like to point out that whether a person is on a bicycle, motorcycle, even running or walking on foot, motorists must obey all traffic laws, come to a complete stop at stop signs, signal intention to turn and procede to do so ONLY when ANY ONCOMING TRAFFIC has passed!

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure glad I read this. I've learned so much. Thank goodness for libertarians.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home