Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Racist or Politically Incorrect?

I was chatting with my sister on the phone the other night and was disappointed to find out she is one of those politically correct types. I forget just how we got to the subject, but at some point I mentioned the word "negro"- mostly just to see how she'd react. 

She didn't get all pissed off but sounded kind of embarrassed. So I asked her if she thought negro was a racist term. She wouldn't answer that but acted uncomfortable: "Oh, Freeeeeed! I can't believe you...".

I've gotten more hostile responses using the word in the past. I recall playing Aces High some years ago when one of the other players got his panties in a wad over something another player mentioned in a text message. He claimed that fellow was racist by his comment. I didn't see the comment as racist, so asked the guy if he was a negro. He then goes off on me saying I'm racist for saying negro. Whatever. He never did answer me. 

So the question today is how many of you think the word negro is racist:

Is the term "negro" racist?
 
pollcode.com free polls

6 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There isn't a black and white answer here (pun intended). In my mind, you aren't racist for saying the word negro. You just sound a little...outdated. Believe it or not, our country used to let white people own black people. Then they segregated black people. During those times, one term to describe blacks was negro. It just reminds some of our racist past.

Also, accusing your own sister of "political correctness" for getting uncomfortable is wrong headed. Especially when you are on a political blog the next day wondering if you are politically correct or not!!!!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'm not wondering whether I'm politically correct. I'm wondering about the readers here.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are those that use the term "Kenyan usurper", and variations of that, as the current POTUS is often referred to by even members of the opposition party.

You would think that having a black, or negro (if you prefer, Fred) president would have helped lessened racial tensions in this country. Non-existent as they are/were, of course. However, as any fool can figure out it has only exacerbated racial tensions. Must undoubtedly be the fault of the negro, right? While on that thought, isn't it interesting that Obama's white heritage is completely ignored as if only the resulting color of his skin is what matters. I wonder if the newly proclaimed Republican presidential seeker, Ted Cruz, will be referred to as that "Canadian usurper". Doesn't seem to have quite the same impact, does it? Hummm.

The tell here is that you admittedly used the word just to see how your PC sister would react to it. You might want to check your own motivations a bit deeper than just believing you were using it as a test question about her attitudes. I know. You're just another confused white guy.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

" You might want to check your own motivations a bit deeper than just believing you were using it as a test question about her attitudes."

Nope. She's got some strange things going on. I just don't know much about her, really, as I haven't seen her in decades and have only spoken with her briefly on the phone over that time.

For instance, one really strange thing that might be due to political correctness: She says she refuses to watch that old TV show The Waltons. I consider that show some of the best TV ever made, yet she seems to hate it, as best I can tell, because sometimes religion and church is included.

Yet, she also made a big point of telling me she prays regularly before going to bed at night, every night. What's with that?

All kinds of strange things she told me.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Localgal said...

Why don't you get to know people with different skin colors personally and ask them.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my experience, a person invokes PCism to deflect from their own ugliness, as if to excuse it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home