Thursday, June 18, 2015

Job Replacement By Robot Calculator

The Daily Sheeple web site seems interesting so I'm bookmarking it. It has this article that looks at aspects of human jobs being taken over by robotics and artificial intelligence. Even a test that tells you the supposed chances of your job being taken over by robotics. I say supposed because their estimates seem low to me.

I took the test. Unless I missed it, I didn't find anything along the lines of landscape maintenance. The closest I could find was "Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance". That seems close but for actual jobs the closest was "Janitor or Custodian" (is there a difference?). The test showed the job had a 66.3% chance of being replaced by automation. 

I think the odds are higher than that. Maybe not in my lifetime, but eventually.

2 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Fred. I think you're safe until they figure out how to teach drones to cut lawns. Those small drone scare me to death. I'm not afraid of being killed by one but it's inevitable people are going to be injured by them

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

They already have self propelled lawnmowers along the line of those robovacs that work automatically to vacuum floors. Pricey, last I saw, but they're available, albeit without any sort of intelligence.

You just put them inside an enclosed area. They're solar powered and as soon as the sun comes up, they start mowing.

Just a matter of time before artificial intelligence will allow them to do more than just mow in an enclosed area. We already have self driving cars.

That, or by remote control where one guy can do the job of five by sitting in his house and operating mowers from afar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home