Wednesday, August 19, 2015

New Microsoft Emergency Patch

Microsoft has issued a new emergency patch for ALL versions of Windows. It has something to do with Internet Explorer and will allow someone to hack your computer, or some such. Sounds bad, but I'm wondering if it matters if you don't use Explorer? I don't. I'm assuming it just has to be on your computer so it's still a concern.

I deactivated MS Automatic Updates a week or so ago because I kept having problems with it wanting to download the same updates. I'm still with XP and, aside from the malicious software removal tool update, there shouldn't be any more updates available so why keep auto updates on? I'll have to think about that.

2 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

They're a PITA on Mac also.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous A Guy said...

My understanding is that the patch still should be applied, even if you’re not an IE user, because of how closely Internet Explorer and the rest of Windows are tied together. Of course you’ll want to make sure that nothing hinky happens to your settings, like making IE your default browser, if that’s not what you want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home