Sunday, May 29, 2016

Man Eating Critters In Florida

Earth Sky News reports man eating crocodiles have been found in Florida. No reports of attacks by Nile crocodiles on humans in Florida, but they have attacked hundreds in Africa.

Florida must be an interesting place. I've always wanted to go there. I was watching a show on the Animal Planet network while in the hospital last time. It featured the Miami - Dade Venom 1 Team. They go around catching and otherwise dealing with dangerous snakes. It's part of the fire department there, I understand. 

I'm not particularly afraid of snakes, sometimes catching the local harmless snakes by hand. Those guys were a step above me. The first guy in the show was trying to catch what I believe he called an eastern diamondback. He explained their venom screws up human blood and can kill people. I was fascinated watching him as he seemed to be playing with the snake. Something I couldn't do, at least in my physical condition.

I wonder if Venom 1 is going to branch out into Nile crocodiles now? The Nile crocs are big- up to 18 feet- but I saw them tackle snakes on that TV show that were at least that long.

4 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yikes Fred, don't go to Florida or you and Connie might end up as croc sushi!!!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A couple years ago a diamondback was by my garage door here in TX. The vibration of the automatic door opener didn't scare it off. Instead, it raced inside. It slithered behind the garbage can and some other items along the wall. Using a broom, I flushed out out. Then it actually raised itself up (like a cobra) and made striking motions at me. Although I'm only 5ft.tall, apparently it didn't want to be swatted with the broom any longer as it suddenly zoomed outside. The next day I heard sounds of distruction on my front sidewalk
The next door neighbor's husband was using a hoe to chop up the snake. He had chased it out of their front bushes. Not sure of the size, but as D.J.Trump would say, it was "huge".

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Not to say I'd be careless, but western rattlesnakes don't worry me too much. If nothing else, a friend in basic training was from Arizona and claimed to have been bitten by a rattlesnake. He said he just got sick. Didn't even go to the hospital, as I recall.

I think it depends on their size, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home