Monday, March 27, 2006

Campaign Signs

I noticed maybe a week or so ago that campaign signs for Worth Dikeman were already popping up in yards around Eureka. There's even a big one in my in- law's yard across the street from my house. Isn't there some protocol about how soon before an election the signs go up?

I'd be the last one to tell someone they can't put a sign up in their yard no matter what the message was and I don't know that I would ever consider a law regulating when campaign signs are allowed to be displayed. It just seems to me that seeing a bunch of campaign signs everywhere you go tends to get old pretty quick, and that's from someone who obviously takes an interest in politics.

I was under the impression that the signs generally go up around a month prior to a given election, and it's considered general courtesy to take them down the day after the election.

I know by the time Election Day comes around I'm usually pretty tired of all the signs and campaign rhetoric so I like to see all the signs from the election gone as soon as possible. I actually try to take any signs I have up (including bumperstickers) down as soon as the polls close on Election Day.

Since anyone who's anyone in Humboldt visits this blog regularly, please help me get the word out on campaign sign courtesy. What to do about the signs up now, I don't know. I guess I'll just have to live with them.

10 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good move by Dikeman's campaign. Get the name out there first and hope for the best. Kinda early I think for this voting period though.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That's what I'm saying. If the signs would of come up in late April I probably wouldn't have brought it up.

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

March 8th was the beginning of the sign period, I think.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

March 8th seems to be a bit early for me for a June election. I would think maybe a month and a half before the election would be better.

Oh well. Let the signs be with us.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah! What you said, orange. That and leaving them up for weeks after Christmas.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Oh; In case you didn't see it, orange. Check out my post of December 26, 2005.

http://humboldtlib.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_humboldtlib_archive.html

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Hey Fred, on your drive back from S.F., did you see the signs for John Pinches for 3rd district supervisor? I wonder if with his name, he'll have trouble getting the female vote. (sorry, couldn't resist)

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mresquan wrote the above statement.Hmm,weird,don't know why this prosperity name showed up here.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I think putting up too many signs hurts the candidate who places them. Rex Bohn had a blitzkrieg of them when he ran for council, and folks seemed to be generally disgusted seeing them everywhere.the sign next to the Lost Coast Brewery in specific was just too much.Plus,how many signs from both candidates in that election were vandilized? They just tend to annoy me more than anything. Hey Fred,how about Fred's lawn campaign sign service?You could trim and clean the signs and plant some bushes around them. Hell you may be able to retire after just one election cycle here!!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Jeff: Yeah, I saw a bunch of the Pinches signs. Don't know about the name problem but, seems to me, he's the guy that ran in the Republican primary for State Assembly a while back, along with Tim Stoen.

I thought he was their best choice- kind of a Roger Rodoni type opposed to the pot wars. Naturally, he lost the primary.

Rob Brown won the Republican primary that time. I thought he was pretty good, as well, although I became disappointed when he came out publicly in support of Prop 22, that anti gay marriage initiative that passed some time before.

The Brown/ Berg race was a lot closer than people expected it to be. I wonder how Pinches would have done if he'd won the primary.

Democrats have held the state assembly (as well as state senate)seat for this district as long as I've lived up here. I've long maintained that a libertarian could change that. Maybe not as a Libertarian candidate, but perhaps as a Lib in Republican clothing.

Problem is, for a Republican to win the primary, he or she has to bring along at least some Religious Right type baggage that pretty much dooms any chance they have of appealing to the majority of people in this district.
******
Resquan: I wonder about that myself. Do too many signs hurt rather than help a candidate? Hard to say. I remember another campaign. Was it Jeff Smith, who ran for Eureka City Council a while back?

I should remember the name as he lived half a block away from me down Trinity Street at the time. I spoke with his wife on occasion.

He had signs everywhere. I was surprised anyone could find places for that many signs. He came in third, I believe, in a three way race.

I don't know that it's the signs to blame for his poor showing. Maybe the signs, assuming one could afford that many, give a sometimes false indication of a large support base when it isn't really there?

Still, it amazes me that so many people allowed his signs to be placed in their yards and he came in third.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home