Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Humboldt Adventure Guide?

I was doing one of my routine checks of Humguide.com this morning and noticed Humguide operator, Robert Morse, seems to be trying his hand at selling books. Under the What's New category I found the Humguide Bookstore. Hmmm...that should certainly be of interest to any serious Humboldt blogger.

Looking into it a little further, I checked the Miscellaneous category and found this Adventurers Guide To Humboldt County. I figured that might be interesting. Not sure if I want to bother buying the book, though.

Scrolling down the page and looking at the two short reviews of the book, the first makes it sound ok. The second one seems to debunk the first. Perhaps the first review was written by the author? Either that, or maybe someone who's never been here?

I'll have to say that the two opposing reviews kinda make you want to buy the book, if only out of curiousity. Anyone out there ever read the book? If so, feel free to leave your review in the comment section.

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Book is full of errors; one star is too high a rating... ., December 29, 1998
Reviewer: A reader
As a frequent visitor whose daughter lives in Humboldt County, I always look forward to learning more about the area. I received this book as a gift from a young friend. Imagine my distress when I discovered that the writer misidentified Bull Creek in Humboldt Redwoods State Park as the Mattole River, spoke of a bike lane on Avenue of the Giants when none exists, identified Sitka Spruce as Sitak, called the Yurok Indians Yukons, etc. Even the description of poison oak was "off"; it is a problem year round, not seasonally, and its leaves are nothing like the maple, to which they were compared. Frequent flippancy and regular references to sharing joints, dancing into the night in various bars, and taking tequelia on outings lead me to believe, in light of the multitude of errors, including the few detailed, that the writer needed to research and edit more and indulge less. What a disappointment. If you want really good guides to the North Coast of California, stick with Jerry and Gisela Rhode.


It just sounds so like Humboldt County!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

I will have to say that there is a book about the history of 299 that's a good read and fun to follow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home