Sunday, August 25, 2013

Holder's Mandatory Minimum Talk

Today's Times- Standard editorial takes a look at Obama's supposed changing position on federally mandated minimum sentences for certain drug offenses. I pretty much agree. It's good to see even lip service given to sentences way out of proportion to the crime.

I'm not sure I'd expect much to come of this, though. After all, they're not talking about getting rid of those sentences entirely. They're just proposing some manipulation on the prosecutorial end. Besides, if Obama was really concerned about this he has the power to pardon those actually serving those sentences which he hasn't done.

When you really look at the timing on this it's more likely an attempt to appease his civil libertarian base and divert attention from the NSA spy scandal, among other things. I won't be holding my breath waiting for action on mandatory minimums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home