Thursday, January 02, 2014

The Freed Murder

I expected the murder of Reverend Eric Freed to be mentioned in the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat. I didn't expect to see it on the CNN web site.

I found out the name a bit earlier than some. I'd read the first mention of it on both the Times- Standard and Lost Coast Outpost Facebook feeds. After the wife came home from shopping I mentioned there had been some violent crime at St. Bernards Church with maybe someone killed. It was then she told me who it was. She'd already heard it from her mother who, along with the rest of the family, are Catholic church goers.

I was stunned. I couldn't figure out why at first. I'm not the least bit religious and it's not like we don't hear fairly often of people being violently killed. Then I realized that nearly all the violent deaths we hear of involve people who are criminals or mentally ill. It almost seems like it should be no surprise when you hear of those kind of killings. 

With this one, though, it was as if your nice next door neighbor who seemed totally ok suddenly ended up brutally murdered, for no apparent reason.

7 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could someone explain to me what kind of murder isn't violent?

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This must be God's plan. Eurekans must have done something really bad to deserve this wrath of God on a priest. Maybe it was the public prayer decision that pissed him/her off. Or maybe its the good old boys worship of money and power. Kinda like when hurricanes are caused by gays. Wink wink...

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Liberal Jon said...

Please don't make this political anon or others. This has nothing to do with politics. This is a heinous act by a deranged individual, most likely a male.
My heart and thoughts go out to the Catholic community and Eureka and HumCo. Something like this will be a dark spot on our history for as long as those of us around at the time are around.
I hope we all as a community do what little we can to come together for support during the period of mourning and beyond.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

They have a suspect now. Doesn't mean he did it but an arrest warrant has been issued.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, I was making a spiritual point, not a political one. I was pretending that I believe that a supernatural "god" controls the actions of people and such childish nonsense. Now if I was to get political, I would point out that the first time Jesus is depicted in the bible after his birth was him at the age of 12 denouncing the priests. The priests were enemies of Jesus and his politics. The priests had him killed because his politics were too radical.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forget the Bible states that God gave man free will this accounts for the atrocious monstrosities that humans commit and will be judged for when they die if you believe in that personally I think aliens seeded our planet or manipulated our DNA I think that would account for lots of questions that neither the Bible or science can answer
THC

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a side note will someone please explain to me how the screagle little lines of text that you have to enter to post on this website would keep a computer for making a random post last time I checked computer see in 1 and 0's...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home