Friday, August 05, 2016

Willits

The Lost Coast Outpost, along with probably all other news sources, tells us the Willits bypass is expected to officially open on November 3. I'll likely be underwhelmed as the northern part of the bypass open now doesn't impress me, but it will be nice during rush hour when traffic in Willits gets all clogged up at the bottleneck next to Burger King.

What I don't get are all the anti- Willits comments that show up on LoCo and elsewhere whenever Willits is mentioned. How can anyone not like Willits? I love Willits- heat aside- and wouldn't mind living there. Small town Americana as I see it. Kinda reminds me of Mayberry RFD, especially the area around Commercial Street.

I can't help but think Willits' detractors are those that want to race through the town so they can spend as much time as possible in Santa Rosa or San Francisco. Those two places are shitholes and we'd probably be better off up here who those that enjoy those places would move down there.

9 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN Fred.

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually agree with you Fred but not this time. Drivers trapped in the logjam called Willits are heading points north or south. Willits is not a destination. The Willits PD doesn't even use 101 because of the congestion. Now with Coyote Valley Willits is no longer a gas mecca. Time to move on. The town will benefit with less traffic.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

But I love Willits!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good observation Fred. The people not stopping in Willits want to reach their destination sooner rather than later.

The congestion through town, by the way, is constant during daylight hours during the summer. And it's a dead stop if there's an event happening in between, such as Reggae on the River.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Fred, I think this is the first time I have actually agreed with you. I LOVE Willits and I was against the bypass, fwiw.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I propose they change the name back to Little Lake.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the powers in Sacramento stopped spending so much money on the 101 north of Santa Rosa, I'd move south in a heartbeat.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Julie: " I LOVE Willits and I was against the bypass, fwiw."

Hooray!!! I supported the bypass. Driving thru Willits when it was all clogged up was a pain but I don't get all upset about it as some, like my wife, does.I can think of much worse places- Santa Rosa, for example- to get stuck in traffic.

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Willits is hot, I went through last week on the Amtrak bus. It seems like a nice place, not too small, not big and certainly NOT Santa Rosa etc....and the bypass looks good. There was an overpass bridge with beautiful art work on it that was just built. I am sure the 'bypass' will be nice and convenient and take unwanted traffic away from the townfolk. Hopefully not take business away, of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home