Thursday, October 05, 2006

Wal Mart Goes Doc In A Box

I've heard about these before. I guess Rohnert Park's Wal Mart is the first in the state to incorporate a low cost medical clinic into its store. I'm not sure if that's the first in the state for any of these clinics, or just the first in a Wal Mart.

Love those big boxes! I think these no- appointment clinics are a great idea although I'll have to admit that, from the prices they mention, it doesn't seem less expensive than going to North Coast Family Practice where I usually go.

Maybe we'll eventually end up with one at the Bayshore Mall or Marina Center? Regardless, I hope these types of clinics get enough business to prosper. From what I've read they seem to be the upcoming thing in the world of medicine.

3 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

"Love those big boxes!"
But they're so UGLY and we progressives don't like them. We insist you shop at the GUM (State Universal Store http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Universal_Store)

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Uncle Enore said...

I have to tell you, Fred, that I am pretty conflicted about the BOX stores.

Take books, for example...

I love neighborhood, independent book stores. I love browsing them and getting to know the people that work there or own the place. They are usually accomodating and...well, "book people," who understand what it is to just sit amongst the books and read or doze...

On the other hand, I can get ANYTHING I want at a Barnes and Noble, for example, and pay 20% less for it...which equates to MORE books for ME.

It's a problem for me.

About Wal Mart I am NOT emotionally conflicted at all.

They kill local businesses, drive out all competition, drive down wages, are anti-union (want me to wave my Teamsters' flag?) and are usually ugly and crowded.

Yes, they are cheap and convenient.

Maybe I AM a little conflicted here, too...

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Uncle Enore wrote, "They kill local businesses,".

Everywhere I know of that has a Walmart seems to be doing ok. Businesses do come and go, though. That's...well..Business!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home