Saturday, June 02, 2007

When Trees Attack

Well, this one hasn't...yet. I mentioned back when the news covered the leaning tree last year that I get the willies every time I drive past that thing. I figured it had to fall down sometime. With my luck, it would happen as I'm driving by it.

I wonder which would be worse: Having the tree fall right on top of you, or having it fall in front of you and running into it at 65 miles per hour?


Paranoid am I? Hey, just cause you're paranoid...
********
Trees do attack, though, and it's often unexpected. Just ask Uncle Enore. Luckily, no one was on his front porch when the branch fell off his tree.

Then there's that guy from around Sacramento I reminded Enore about. This happened a few months ago, if memory serves me right;

The guy had gotten done fishing in on the American(?) River and was sitting down for lunch at a picnic table. Without warning, a big branch from the cottonwood tree he was sitting under breaks off, falls on him and kills him. Just like that.

Keep a close eye on the trees around you, even though that may not help much if the tree really wants to attack.

In any case, I'm glad they're taking that leaning redwood tree down.

7 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Heraldo Riviera said...

Without warning, a big branch from the cottonwood tree he was sitting under breaks off, falls on him and kills him. Just like that.

That's why they're called "widow makers."

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. Except when I first heard the term "widow maker" it was in a C/R forestry class, I believe, and was referring to broken branches and or trees that were hung up on others and hadn't fallen down yet.

I suppose this leaning tree might fit roughly in that category, but some of the others just seem to break and fall off with no visible indication they would do so.

As an aside, if that forestry class made any impression on me, it was the widow maker lecture and to constantly keep an eye overhead for branches that could fall on you at any moment.

To this day I always look up when I'm in forested areas. It's amazing how many huge branches you'll see that are broken off and hanging on another branch just waiting to fall down.

Take a look sometime. You'll be amazed.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose whether this tree is left-leaning or right-leaning depends on which direction you're approaching it from...

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't the tree's fault, it was the Bush's fault!

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Well, at least they will be using the tree for fish habitat in the creeks. I approve of the tree coming down. It has made me nervous, too, and worried it would come crashing down.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger hucktunes said...

I'm concerned about the huge pine tree on the Fish and Game property on 2nd. and H St. It's a beautiful tree but those old pines like to fall down. I'm afraid it would take Smug's Pizza with it. That would be tragic.

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone climbed the tree yesterday. Has a zip line from it to another one so he can go back and forth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home