Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Gooo...Don Davis!

It's nice to see Don Davis' letter in the Eureka Reporter this morning. He takes issue with Jim Garvey's earlier letter in regards the confederate flag flying at Ferndale High School.

Hopefully, Don will write another letter in response to our very own Rob Ash's My Word column in today's Times- Standard. Rob Ash seems to agree with Jim Garvey and I'll give Rob credit in that his My Word didn't come off as goofy to me as Garvey's letter.

At least it didn't until Rob started ragging on the confederacy. He seems to think the confederacy was the most evil institution in mankind's history. He suggests the War Between The States was an act of aggression against America by the confederacy.

Rob needs to be reminded that it was the North that invaded the South, not the other way around and that the southern states only wanted to secede from the union, not take over the northern states.

To Rob's credit, he did stop short of accusing the confederacy of causing AIDs and there is one thing I might come close to agreeing with Rob on:

While I don't have a problem with the confederate flag, I also don't have a problem with schools prohibiting items on campus that might be disruptive to the educational environment. We may argue about what items should or should not be allowed, but schools do have the right to establish rules to promote education.


Once again I can't find something I wanted to blog about on the Times- Standard's web site. Rob's My Word is strangely absent, at least for now. Probably some kind of confederate conspiracy.
*******
A few hours later update: Now I see Ash's My Word right at the top of the Other Voices column.

9 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, Fred. You disappoint me. I can't believe you view the Confederate flag as nothing more than a symbol of rebellion and that Dixie was the victim in the Civil War. I know it's not hard for many people to close their eyes to the hard truth. But I didn't expect it from you. Are you going to deny the Holocaust next?

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God Andrew, it is just like Fred said. Worse,far worse was the horror to the world from the Rising Sun Flag. Get over it and don't try to rewrite history or make into some bigot fantasy. If anyone thinks that slavery was only a "Dixie" thing then they are as dumb as a post. Fred, good job.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

There we go again: Just like Rob Ash's My Word.

I can't believe you actually believe the War Between The States was a racist issue.

Deny the Holocaust? Figures.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger robash141 said...

a Lot of furious spinning going on.

I didn't say the kid was a racist.

Maybe he's just a clueless teenager that seems like a much more plausible

But the Principal should be able to determine what is, and is not proper on his campus. If he feels the flag would cause a disruption

It did end up causing a disruption so in that respect Garamendi was right.

I will concede that the Principal probably should have called the student in question into the office and told him to get rid of the flag before it was summarily snagged that might have saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Just like the Confederates could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by getting rid of their slaves voluntarily.

He could have given the kid a choice either the flag goes or he and the flag can go.


It boils down to who's in charge of the school the kids or the Principal?

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Carol said...

It was a good My Word, Rob.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. So I guess we shouldn't be so hard on the Third Reich cuz, gosh, mass murder wasn't just a Nazi thing.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger The Paranoid Herald said...

I wonder why the student was sporting a confederate flag? Perhaps for shock value? An anti-authoritarian sentiment? Whatever the flag's history, it's current association justifies the Principal's decision.

"According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols."

Whatever nobility and honor the flag may have had, it's been defiled. Put the cross of St. Andrew to rest.

Don't fly a swastika either, even though before the Nazi's took it over, it was a symbol of good luck.

You can't fly your middle finger in a well known pose either, even though it's just a finger.

And I'm sure ya'll know that long list of words that aren't acceptable in polite company.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anybody with a lick of sense keeps a close eye on young men who ride around with that Confederate X on their truck and God-only-knows-what on their minds.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger robash141 said...

It is indeed amazingly ironic how the Confederate apologists are so quick to claim their own "rights" to display a symbol of a movement that was predicated on denying others people their basic human rights.



It appears to me that the flag they really worship is the double standard..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home