Sunday, January 27, 2008

Times- Standard: Paper or Plastic?

By plastic I'm referring to the e- version they have available online now. It's just not the same as a hard copy. I'll probably have to decide between the two versions soon as I received my renewal notice from the Times- Standard yesterday.

That notice couldn't have been more timely. I knew I'd have to renew soon and have been going back and forth in my mind what I should do. I like having the hard copy to read with breakfast each morning but, at $145.86 a year, that seems a bit pricey.

So I was thinking of subscribing to the e- version which is something like $ 40.00 or $45.00 a year. It's just not the same, though, and what if the power goes out? Then I'll have no news to read. But it would be nice to not have to take the old newspapers to the recycling center all the time.

Yesterday was almost a good day to see how that would work and how I'd feel if the power went out. We lost power at around 7:30 in the morning. I figured that at least I could read the hard copy of the Times- Standard while the power was out but, coincidence of coincidences, the T-S wasn't delivered yesterday (and wasn't delivered today, either). Luckily the Eureka- Reporter did show up so I had something to read with breakfast.

Still, I missed the hard copy and just have to realize that, sometimes, shit happens and there may come a day when I don't get to read my news at all. So what to do: Paper or plastic?

I noticed on the renewal card mention of a new payment method they have- at least I never noticed it before. You can have them charge your credit or debit card $11.26 each month rather than pay the $145.00 all at once. At least that sounds more affordable. I might go with that but I wonder how they'll credit me for all the missed deliveries?

Oh well. I have about a month to decide.
***********
As an aside, I just noticed the Times- Standard web site has an event calendar on their front page. You can add your own local events to it but you have to register with them to do so. It's between the Entertainment and Business sections. If someone adds an event to the calendar, be sure and come back here and let us know how well it works.

7 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have a promotion now and I am sure it is for new customers they called the other night....$3/ month. Call and say you will renew at the promotional deal. The worst they can say is no and that might help make a decision. I personally think all you bloggers do just a good of job at sending out the local news.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I actually did something along that line a couple years ago. Plead poverty, and they gave me some big discount.

Thanks for thinking the bloggers do such a good job with the news, but you have to keep in mind we get our news from the newspapers and TV.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I let my subscription run out as I had met a gal that by signing up through her you could get T-S for $20 for 6 months if you would give up Monday delivery. I got that and then when that ran out I got a card to renew that said around $42.00 a year for the same thing and I now have a year's renewal. Sometimes it is also in the T-S section on I think second page that you can get this same deal for around $48. We buy the Monday paper at the service station and still save a lot of money.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That's right. I heard they had some deal where you could skip the Monday paper and save some money. I don't see the deal on their web site, though. That would be one to consider since the Monday paper often doesn't have a whole lot in it anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and remember to check the paper for rates, assuming it gets delivered Monday. This is day two of no delivery in my neighborhood. Delivery guy must have quit.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Carol said...

In my email, I am receiving a weekly event calender. Maybe it is because I have written on the TS website, and they sign you up when you write a comment?

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charging for the online version seems ludicrous- just like charging for cable, and then STILL showing endless commercials!
(Remember what cable USED to be? You paid for it because it DIDNT have ads!)

Same with the online newspapers- they track us, (T-S) they plaster ads all over it- and then ask for money!

Not gonna do it!

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have little problem with print ads. That's because I trained my eyes not to go to ads and my brain not to register ads. They are virtually invisible to me.

TV ads are different. Loud and frequent. But I will get Tivo and that will fix their little red wagon!

As to the e-version of the T-S, it is great. I can read it more easily than the print version and I can print any article or announcement worth saving. Having fewer old newspapers stacked up around the house is nice. And the e-edition costs less than a third as much as the paper edition. I like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home