Sunday, February 20, 2011

Winco Annoyances

I'll agree with Joel Mielke on this one. I went into the Winco deli section yesterday to grab a salad for the wife and a few El Monterrey burritos for myself. Threw the salad in my bag but there's some guy and his shopping cart blocking access to the burritos.

He just stands there perusing the items in front of him, but I got the impression he wasn't really looking to buy anything. I stood back patiently and waited. Finally I figured I'd just walk to the other side of the store and pick up a couple cans of artichoke hearts. Surely he'll be gone when I return? Nope. I walk back to the deli and there he still is so I walk over to take a look at the fish counter.

After spending a couple more minutes looking at the fish I look over and see he's moved, about 3 feet from where he was standing, but at least allowing access to the section where the burritos were. I take a look at the guy and he's just standing there leaning on his cart. What is it with that guy? To add insult to injury, my ten minute or more wait for him was for naught. There weren't any burritos in stock.
~~~~~

What is it with people and those shopping carts, anyway? Ok. I'll admit many, if not most, of the folks that shop Winco buy a lot of stuff and need to clutter up the aisles with shopping carts, but some don't. I remember seeing one guy in the checkout line right in front of me. All he had in his cart was a gallon jug of milk. What a dweeb.

And then there's the folks who grab a cart from the few that are just outside the exit door and enter through that same door despite the sign saying its for exit only. That can really plug up the works with all the people leaving going the opposite way. How rude!

Of course, most of the people going out the door are going as slow as possible, shopping being more of a recreational experience for so many of them. They're part of the problem, as well, creating bottlenecks both in the store and at the exit: Recreational shoppers.

Now they've got it set up so people can't bring shopping carts in through the exit door and I'm wondering what I should do? I suppose some folks might consider me to be rude, too, as I used to enter through the exit door myself. I figured no harm done as I usually don't use a shopping cart. I just carry one or two of the reusable Winco bags. Saves time and space.

Even after they put up a sign by the #1 checkout that no shopping carts should be going through there I still walked through with my bags. Then they put up a barrier with a sign because people still brought carts in through the exit door. I forget what the sign said but it prompted me to ask the gal at the checkstand if it was ok for people without shopping carts to pass through there. She seemed a bit annoyed with me for even asking so I decided to start using the entrance door.

But that's annoying too as you still have to deal with the recreational shoppers. They grab their shopping cart, take a few steps, then stop and look at whatever is on the shelves around them. Sometimes you really have to be agile to make your way through them. What a pain.

I noticed yesterday they have new barricade up by the #1 checkout that seems to be set to allow people but not carts through. Maybe I'll take a chance and try going in through the exit next time? I'll ask first.
~~~~~

And why do so many people have to bring the whole family along when they shop Winco? That really clutters up the aisle, never mind the kids screaming and shouting sometimes. Can't they leave the older kid in charge of the other ones while they spend an hour or two doing their shopping? I guess not.
~~~~~~

And don't you hate those check writers? Everybody else is pretty quick, even the recreational shoppers, with the cash and debit cards, but there always has to be at least one check writer somewhere holding up the line. And many of them don't fill out the check ahead of time as I always used to do. Some (and it seems they're usually older women) wait until the checker gives them the total, then they grab their checkbook and start filling it out. That is like SO ANNOYING!

You check writers need to enter the modern world and get a debit card. Nearly all banks offer them. If you can't handle that, at least fill out everything but the cash amount before you get to checkout and save the rest of us the wait while you indulge yourself.
~~~~~~

Anyway, that's a partial list of annoyances from Winco's fastest shopper. What are yours?

10 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What pisses me off is when the debit card scanners don't work properly, leaving me SOL as I don't carry a checkbook anymore.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I haven't had that happen to me, yet, but I have thought of what a disaster it would be if the computer systems got seriously screwed up and I couldn't use a debit card.

I rarely use checks, anymore, but I keep a checkbook with me in the bag I keep in my truck with my cell phone and other stuff.

But I also worry about something happening when I'm out of town and the bank systems break down, they won't accept out of town checks and I don't have enough cash. What could you do?

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enter through the exit because I don't want to walk through the intentionally designed maze that makes me pass through what WinCo wants me to see before I get to walk toward my intended destination.

If I want bagels, I'm not going to walk the entire width of the store twice (right to left outside and then left to right inside to the bagels). I'm going in the entrance (at right) and taking the direct route to the bagels (at right).

Store Rule #1: Respect your customers.

Customer Rule #1: Disregard the store rules when they disrespect you.

The bottleneck of people leaving slowly is not the problem. It's human nature. The problem is WinCo intentionally designed its store to have only one exit. In short, WinCo hates you.

As for your hatred of families, wouldn't the world be wonderful if people simply didn't procreate? Fred, you wear your libertarianism on your sleeve.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't like it, maybe you should earn more money so you can shop at a respectable vendor like Safeway or Eureka Natural Foods. You're a poor piece of trash Fred, and you will have to mingle with the other trash until you figure out how to improve your economic situation. Until then, I am glad you are sequestered into winco with the other crazies who stand in place for 10 minutes. Keep the trash away from me, thats why I pay more for my food. I'm better than the trash, hence why I can afford to keep you disgusting fucks away from me.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

As for your hatred of families,....

I love that one. I suggest parents keep the kids at home when they're shopping so I hate families. Sounds like another lefty hanging here again.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had been going to Winco (or ParoleMart as we used to call WareMart) on Sunday afternoons. It got so bad a couple of weeks ago I will never go there at Sunday afternoons again. The aisle blockers and the sheer masses of "humanity" are intolerable. The bagels are all gone and the shelves are decimated. I'm switching to Monday afternoons. Monday morning they still haven't restocked. And I never go there without Roscoe.

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a hint. Go between 8 and 10 am and it'll be wonderful. The deli's open and there are hardly any shoppers in there. And avoid a cart unless you're buying enough stuff to need one. I manage to get in and out of there in a matter of minutes when I just get a few items and use my re-useable bag as my shopping cart. The Winco prices make it totally worth my time.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I went in there once early in the morning and it was quite nice. I usually have a hard time getting out of the house before 10am, though.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

Fred
You should shop in Garberville, it's not crowded, and has roomy aisles, and we only pay 40% more than you do.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no legs.

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it, Fred. You must be the love child of Andy Rooney and Roseanne Rosanna Danna.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home