Friday, August 12, 2016

Renner Petroleum Sold

The Times- Standard reports Renner Petroleum has been sold to a Stockton based company, the official switchover taking place September 1. Why do I feel this won't end well? Maybe because I can't come up with one example, here or elsewhere, where an ownership change ended up better for the consumer. 

I'm not totally negative on it. It's just past history doesn't bode well for us who patronize the company. Just one example: I think we were better served with Payless Drugs than Rite Aid. Then again, maybe Payless would have pulled out of Eureka if Rite Aid hadn't bought them out, and don't get me started about the Henderson Center Food Mart that closed leaving Rite Aid to take its place.

Then there's CVS taking over Long's Drugs. Not too big a deal but I preferred Long's Drugs. Maybe I'm just being old fashioned, though?

And by the way, Cloverdale has a new Renner Petroleum card lock station that looks about ready to open. It's just a bit further south down South Cloverdale Blvd than the Starbucks. I wonder if that station will remain with the new ownership? I'm not sure they can undercut gas prices in Willits but, at the same time, most people in the Cloverdale area don't drive to Willits for gas. It might not matter.

3 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quit your griping, Fred. It's all free market capitalism. You're always solid with that aren't you? Mergers, acquisitions, hostile takeovers, leveraged buy-outs. All good
Libertarian ideals.

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always preferred the small businesses too, Fred. They tried to please the consumers, not the politicians.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Anonymous 11'45AM--Even though I work for Wmart,i agree with you. In my opinion our quality of life was far better with small American businesses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home