Saturday, March 11, 2006

The Witnesses Are Out Today

The Jehovah's Witnesses are probably my favorite religion, but not because of anything they believe. In fact, I don't really know or care what they believe. I just like them because they don't vote, or so I've been told. If they were libertarians, I'd probably be more annoyed with them for not voting, but since they're pretty much apolitical, that makes just one less group to keep an eye on.

That said, we're lucky we don't have a very large, active group of Jehovah's Witnesses up here. At least we don't seem to be pestered with them knocking on doors as much as I remember them doing when I lived in Orange County. I've had few religious types knock on my door in the fifteen years or more I've live in this house, and some of those weren't even Witnesses. This is good.

One thing they're generally pretty good about is not pestering people at work. Today was the first time they approached me while I was working. I'm unloading my lawnmower out of my truck and there were two pairs of Witnesses working the neighborhood of K and Huntoon Streets in Eureka.

One pair happened to be heading to the house I was working at and asked me if I lived at the house. I told them I was just there to mow the lawn next door. She says something like "Oh, I see. What a great day to be mowing lawns. Have you ever seen our Lighthouse publication...?". I told them they drop them off at my house on occasion and I'd seen them and start to go about my business. Luckily, she just says, "Oh, ok.", and off they went.


I think it's somewhat rude to interrupt someone with a religious pitch while they're working but I don't see a problem with them going house to house trying to evangelize people, despite how annoying it is. Just made me wonder if they're getting more aggressive or if that was an honest mistake on her part?

7 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Bo said...

Great blog Fred!!! I always tell the J.W.'s I'm a Buddhist. It screws them up good. Libertarians might finally have a good chance nationally. I haven't been frick or frack in several elections (I used to call myself conservative but in real life terms not much separates them from the liberals anymore, so I just call myself a Dumb Ass) Stay cool, Bo

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Danny Haszard said...

Up close and personal Jehovah's Witnesses can be wolves in sheep's clothing.

Think about this-When the devil comes knocking on your door he may not have the 'dark goth look'.They could be smartly dressed and wielding the Christian Bible.

I have Jehovah's Witnesses family in the usa who practice the Watchtower JW enforced ritual shunning that i have not seen or heard from in 15 years.

The central CORE dogma of the Watchtower is Jesus second coming (invisibly) in 1914 and is a lie.Jehovah's Witnesses are a spin-off of the man made Millerite movement of 1840.

A destructive cult of false teachings, that frequently result in spiritual and psychological abuse, as well as needless deaths (bogus blood transfusion ban).

Yes,you can 'check out anytime you want but you can never leave',because they can and will hold your family hostage.

The world has the Internet now,and there are tens of thousands of pages up from disgruntled ex-Jehovah's Witnesses like myself who have been abused by the Watchtower cult.

Jehovah's Witnesses are often a mouth that prays a hand that kills.The Watchtower is a truly Orwellian world.
----
Danny Haszard former Jehovah's Witness X 33 years and 3rd generation www.dannyhaszard.com

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is an active "population" of JW's where I am, and they have practiced the "shunning" of an old friend. Her husband treated her very badly, I think even hit her, yet she was shunned and kicked out of the church when she went on a camping trip with another female friend and her boyfriend. OMG! Another man was present!!

You should just run over anyone's foot with a lawn mower that tries to preach while you are working. I don't appreciate it when other religions give me their booklets when I am work. I have too many things to get done to sit down and get into a conversation. (this applies to any relgion that does it, not just JW's)

 
At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think corrupting a Catholic is fun, just wait'll ya corrupt a JW.
WOOHOOO!

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Kat wrote: "and they have practiced the "shunning" of an old friend".

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I knew a JW years ago that was "disfellowshipped" by the JWs. Don't know exactly why but it had something to do with his marriage and I think someone told me it was cause he was a black guy married to a white girl, although I could be wrong on that.

I guess it was a major loss to him being booted from the church.

A few years ago I saw him with some JWs working a neighborhood. He recognized me and we spoke for a bit. He never once tried to evangelize me. I mentioned I could see he got back with the church and he said, "Yep. I'm going to do it right this time...".

What was odd was he was with two other JWs but the two other guys went to knock on the door themselves. For some reason he didn't go with them and walked down to the corner and stood there with the Watchtower magazines held across his chest (as I've often seen them do).

I wondered why he couldn't go to the door of another house by himself instead. Do they have a rule that requires only two to approach a home? I always see them working in pairs.

Or maybe it was because he was a black guy?

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know mormons beleive skin tone is a sign of holiness. White people are closer to angels, and the blacker you are the closer you are to being a demon. Yes this is what they actually believe.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Anonymous 9:20 AM: Please cite the text from the Book of Mormon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home